• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extreme ice here in Yorkshire…..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extreme ice here in Yorkshire…..

Cars falling off the M62 this morning due to black ice. Major delays while they carted off the carnage.

Got to the back streets of Bradford near work – absolute mayhem, cars sliding about all over the place.

A flatbed lorry stopped, could not get moving again. Taxi driver between us gets out to push, goes for a slide. The lorry driver’s mate went out, leaned against the truck, this was enough to send the truck sliding.

Just heard the weather – there is heavy snow back in Wilmslow and the pennines to get across.

How much longer can this madness last?

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Cars falling off the M62 this morning due to black ice. Major delays while they carted off the carnage.

Got to the back streets of Bradford near work – absolute mayhem, cars sliding about all over the place.

A flatbed lorry stopped, could not get moving again. Taxi driver between us gets out to push, goes for a slide. The lorry driver’s mate went out, leaned against the truck, this was enough to send the truck sliding.

Just heard the weather – there is heavy snow back in Wilmslow and the pennines to get across.

Please don't drive Wilmslow, we don't want to miss out on your stories...

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
      If the early 1960s are anything to go by, until the sheep die in the fields, until cows on remote farms starve to death, until farmers start shooting themselves in desparation, until the army start using helicopters (assuming they have any in the UK) to do food drop to remote communities, until people living on boats freeze to death in the night or die of starvation if not near settlements.

Until the sea freezes around the coastline.

Until so many people go skating on rivers that stalls open on the ice to sell them food and drink.

Until all the ornamental ponds are frozen completely solid, including the coi carp and goldfish therein.

Until the ground is frozen solid and all burials have to cease. The crematoria, hospitals, chapels of rest, and everywhere else possible gets piled up with dead bodies.

What we have had is nothing yet. This is still just a normal winter.

Human memories are short, and feeble.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

And on the other hand it might all thaw out this weekend
        ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

go to australia. They are having record high temperatures there

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
            And on the other hand it might all be in the head of wilmslow's puppet master.
            FTFY

Comment

Until no later than March because:

Gareth Jones, a climate research scientist at the Met Office, said the effect of global warming is unlikely to be masked by shorter term weather patterns in the future.

He said that 50 per cent of the 10 years after 2011 will be warmer than 1998. After that any year cooler than 1998 will be considered unusual.

“The amount of warming we expect from human impacts is so huge that any natural phenomenon in the future is unlikely to counteract it in the long term,” he said.
              Look forward to a hot summer and a mild winter next year.

I am....
              Last edited by BlasterBates; 13 January 2010, 13:58.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                go to australia. They are having record high temperatures there

I am - three weeks to go

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
                  I am - three weeks to go
                  What they got you done for?

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    Look forward to a hot summer and a mild winter next year.

I am....
                    I was this time last year, too.......

Comment

Working...
                    X