• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bogus Medal Man in The Nuneaton News

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bogus Medal Man in The Nuneaton News

The local paper has just been delivered ( ). Want the front page story?

SHAMED
    Bogus Medal Man Escapes a Prison Sentence
    A man who masqueraded as a highly decorated military hero to impress his young wife has escaped a jail sentence.

Roger Chritopher Day pleaded guilty to wearing a chestful of medals at last year's Bedworth Armistice Day Parade.

He was charged under the Army Act 1955 and ordered to carry out 60 hours of community service.

The 61 year old wore 17 medals and the SAS beret, cap badge and tie pin.

He gave himself up at a Police station.

He has been married 3 times and his present wide is 24 years younger than him. "In order to maintain interest" he made up stories to her about his Army experience..

He told his wife he lost his medals; she started buying replacements as an act of kindness.

He is interested in amateur theatricals - where he met his present wife.

As a result of his deceit, his work as a carpenter has dried up. He has been shunned by friends and neighbours and received hate mail.
    (Sorry for any typos, that was touch-typed.)

Also: the medals cost £600; the only financial benefit he got from the fake medals was a free cup of tea on the day; because he pleaded guilty & turned himself in he did not get 90 hours community service; he hoped to sell the medals to recover financial losses from the whole affair but the magistrates said they were forfeited and charged him £40 prosecution costs too.

The organiser of the parade said "I suggest he spends his community service raising money for the Poppy Appeal, Help for Heroes or Troop Aid ... if they will have him."
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

And his initials include RC - suspicious I say

Comment

Don't know why, but it reminds me of Dastardly and Muttely..
      Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

This is prime Daily Mail material!

Comment

Why did the daft tw at have to go and over-egg the pudding?

He must have been sporting every campaign medal from Goose Green back to the Siege of Sebastopol
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
          X