• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blew off three interviews already this year.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blew off three interviews already this year.

Three phone interviews, I delivered top-notch performance at all three , one of the agents even told me I was going to get one of them .... and now few days later I am still sitting here back to square one.

Originally posted by newblood View Post
    Three interviews, on all three I delivered top-notch performance , one agent even told me I was going to get one of them .... and now few days later I am still sitting here back to square one.
    If you can't use correct emoticons what do you expect?

() ------->()

HTH
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

There are all kinds of reasons why interviews come to nothing, and a lot of them don't reflect on you (and even if they do, it might well be because you're *over* qualified in some way rather than not up to scratch or not a perfect fit - If you're going for a legacy software maintenance role for example, for flip's sake downplay any enthusiasm for designing new systems and suppress any sign that you might be easily bored!).

But that's an example of why one should never break off the chase until the contract is signed and in the bag. It's so easy and tempting to fall into that trap though, and waste two or three days.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I am positive I am the tulipiest contractor out there and I bet I am last on all metrics: starting with 14 months on the bench now , although actively looking for only 7.

Comment

Three phone interviews, on all three I delivered top-notch performance , one agent even told me I was going to get one of them .... and now few days later I am still sitting here back to square one.

It is indeed annoying and frustrating. I even got a provisional start date at the end of an interview a few months back.

Still, every interview is good practice for The Perfect Gig interview when it comes.

Since these were telephone interviews, it means the client wasn't ready to commit. They weren't sure what they wanted, or did not have authorisation to recruit. They certainly didn't want to put someone out to attend face-to-face. So don't blame yourself that those gigs never came to fruition: they probably recruited nobody.

Also, getting three interviews in this market is great confirmation that you have a really good CV and your application process is working well for you. So well done on both of those.

You are winning, newblood, even if it doesn't feel like it right now. You're jumping the hurdles and clearly out ahead, now just keep going on that straight to the finish line.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I am positive I am the tulipiest contractor out there and I bet I am last on all metrics: starting with 14 months on the bench now , although actively looking for only 7.
            Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

<snip>

Since these were telephone interviews, it means the client wasn't ready to commit. They weren't sure what they wanted, or did not have authorisation to recruit. They certainly didn't want to put someone out to attend face-to-face. So don't blame yourself that those gigs never came to fruition: they probably recruited nobody.

Also, getting three interviews in this market is great confirmation that you have a really good CV and your application process is working well for you. So well done on both of those.

You are winning, newblood, even if it doesn't feel like it right now. You're jumping the hurdles and clearly out ahead, now just keep going on that straight to the finish line.
            Listen to Mr C........ and ease up on yourself!

There will be enough people out there eager to give you a kicking with out you starting on yourself.....

It aint always easy to stay positive... but stay positive!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              If you can't use correct emoticons what do you expect?

() ------->()

HTH
              Feeling bad about the whole emoticon thing.

Good luck. RC is right, you're getting nibbles. Something will be along soon, when you least expect it.
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

But that's an example of why one should never break off the chase until the contract is signed and in the bag. It's so easy and tempting to fall into that trap though, and waste two or three days.
                I am paying for my stupidity to tell agents I am interviewing with other too. What a stupid mistake. ( I know , I know it is not this exclusively to blame , it is just a rule I
                won't be breaking again )

Comment

[QUOTE=RichardCranium;1045189Still, every interview is good practice for The Perfect Gig interview when it comes.
                  [/QUOTE]

The perfect gig is the one that comes along after you have signed on the dotted line for a not so perfect one!
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

It is indeed annoying and frustrating. I even got a provisional start date at the end of an interview a few months back.

Still, every interview is good practice for The Perfect Gig interview when it comes.

Thanks for the advice ,This newblood nickname is suggesting to people I am complete starter and I am not . I have been contracting for 3 years now , 14 months out of which being benched haha.

My hurdle is different, First Sharepoint Infrastructure has gone tits up now and my experience there seems to be common knowledge these days. I see hundreds of Sharepoint development contracts but without real development projects on my CV it is hard to compete in this arena.

The reason I am very weary of 24 hours a day C# / asp.net crash preparation is just that: I have studied infrastructure for 10 years and what do I get now ? Nothing. That is how ungrateful IT knowledge has become these days.

Sure it is development that is still hanging in but this will follow infrastructure , I don't doubt it.

The only reason I am still after a contract is to give me time to move out of this ungrateful knowledge IT market thing.

On a different note , I am from Eastern Europe and this has two implications , first permanent jobs are out of my reach due to visa status , second I am at the end of the queue after all you English lot .
                    Last edited by newblood; 13 January 2010, 18:28.

Comment

Working...
                    X