• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Union/Agency for the protection of Contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Union/Agency for the protection of Contractors

I am just about to enter my first contract in the exciting world of contracting and am wondering if there is anything out there for our protection or are we just disposable staff?

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    I am just about to enter my first contract in the exciting world of contracting and am wondering if there is anything out there for our protection or are we just disposable staff?
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

You are a business, part of the capitalist system.

If you need looking after get a job in the NHS.

Comment

A Dilbert cartoon a few years ago has the Pointy Haired Boss (PHB) walking down the corridor with a body over his shoulder.

Dilbert says to him: "Why do you throw the contractors in the skip when you've finished with them?"

PHB: "They're too big to flush".

And that's how it is.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Please don't feed it.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

One of these will work pretty well.

Comment

if there is anything out there for our protection or are we just disposable staff?
              If you read the best 3 books in any subject, you'll be in the top 5% of experts in the world.

Comment

Would you like a sensible answer now (to your remarkably naïve question)?

Assuming you are working through a LtdCo of which you are a Director...

You will be a salaried, permanent employee of YourLtdCo. (YourLtdCo then sends you to ClientCo sites to do work.) This gives you (almost) all the employment rights any other permanent member of staff. For example, you are protected by the European Working Hours Directive (or whatever it is called) and Health & Safety protection. You are entitled to all the same screen breaks and free eye tests and ergonomic stuff and sick pay and holiday leave that anyone gets.

However, you are unlikely to ever pay yourself Statutory Sick Pay (although I don't know why). Or impose a particular number of days leave. And all those benefits must be paid for by YourLtdCo, not by the agency or ClientCo.

You can sue your employer for abusing you. However, as the Director, you will be suing yourself. There are occasions, however, when people actually do that (typically to claim off an insurance policy).

All the time you are contracting - including when on the bench - you are an employee of YourLtdCo. You will never be an employee of anyone else. So you will not be able to claim employee's rights from anyone else, such as the agency or the ClientCo.

So, you as a human being are protected by employment law. For example, if ClientCo tells you to do manual labour, refuse and tell them you are neither trained nor insured to do so. If ClientCo says you must work 140 hours a week for 3 months, YourLtdCo can tell ClientCo that YourLtdCo will not permit you to work hours in excess of the Euro-limit on hours. If you get injured because of stupidity in the workplace, you are to be treated like a permie. (If you cause an injury in the workplace, expect to be treated harder than a permie!)

But as far as ClientCo is concerned, you are nothing more than a disposable piece of meat.

Does that help?

However, if you go PAYE through the agency, everything is different.
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Aww bless. You really should have done a bit of research first
                  ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                    Aww bless. You really should have done a bit of research first
                    You know where you've gone wrong here, don't you?

Comment

Working...
                    X