• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A Victory for Common Sense

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Victory for Common Sense

McKinnon saved from Extradition -with fuil support from the Conservatives

The judge ordered a full judicial review of the case, which will not be heard before April or May this year.

Had he turned down Gary's request for a review, the hacker could have been on a plane to the U.S. - where he faces 60 years in jail - by the end of this month.

Legal proceedings are now almost certain to drag on beyond the General Election, raising optimism among Gary's supporters that the Tories will halt the extradition if they win.

Mr Justice Mitting ruled sending Gary to face U.S. court could be unlawful
    Tory justice spokesman David Burrowes, who is also Gary's MP, said he would 'expect' a future Conservative home secretary to stop the removal process.
    He granted Gary's legal team and the Home Office several months to prepare for the hearing in April or May.

Even if Gary were to lose, he would have 28 days to appeal to the Supreme Court, plus a last-ditch hearing in Europe.

This makes it near inevitable the case will not be concluded before the last possible date for the General Election - June 3.

The Tories have said they would review the 2003 Extradition Act, which they believe treats British citizens unfairly.

Mr Burrowes said: 'My view is any home secretary looking at the medical evidence would make the fair and just decision not to extradite Gary McKinnon.
    'I hoped Alan Johnson would do that and I would expect any future home secretary - and if that was a Conservative home secretary - to take the just decision not to extradite Gary.'

The Enfield Southgate MP added: 'Alan Johnson should see the writing on the wall from the court and accept that he was wrong to ignore the new and compelling medical evidence.

I can't see any common sense here - self-confessed (publicly) criminal is not only getting away with his crime but also costing UK taxpayers millions in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      I can't see any common sense here - self-confessed (publicly) criminal is not only getting away with his crime but also costing UK taxpayers millions in the process.
      Not to mention prolonging his misery and uncertainty still further.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Whilst I disagree with the treaty that allows the US to extradite this chap "because we say so" he has plainly done wrong.

Seeing as that wrong was done here, perhaps the CPS should pull their finger out and prosecute him?
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          Whilst I disagree with the treaty that allows the US to extradite this chap "because we say so" he has plainly done wrong.

Seeing as that wrong was done here, perhaps the CPS should pull their finger out and prosecute him?
          WHS

If he's not going to the US he needs to be tried here.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            He caused damage in the USA, just because he is here or elsewhere at the time is not material. CPS can't do much since he apparently did not commit any crimes here, so he'll effectively walk now.

IMHO, if he claimed innocence and there was little good evidence to link him to this crime then maybe doubts should be raised, however it is clear that he is guilty and effectively his "defense" is that he should not go to USA jail on medical grounds. IMHO this sort of question should be decided by the medical experts invited by court in the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              If he's not going to the US he needs to be tried here.
              How can you try him here if he did not gain unauthorized access to UK based systems? Or more likely it can't be proven whether he did, but in any case you can't really try him here.

Comment

Whether he goes to the US or is tried in the UK, he’ll face trial by jury. Now I know lots of people in the UK are quite attached to jury trials, but is it really fair on this guy to be judged by a bunch of people who sit through days of complicated technical stories most of them don’t understand?

If I’m guilty, give me a jury, but if I’m innocent then for heaven’s sake give me a judge.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  WHS. Would love to know how much this b*ll*cks is costing me and souring relations with the US. I think next time we want a crimal back we need to string up we are gonna have to whistle.

I would pay the ticket to send him over myself if it would put an end to this farce.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Interesting to see just how bitter some of the posters are on this board - I pity you all.

Comment

Working...
                    X