• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Terrorists still planning to attack you

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terrorists still planning to attack you

Terrorism threat has increased: Met chief

· Intelligence on suspects received daily since 7/7
    · Three conspiracies foiled since London attacks

Rosie Cowan, crime correspondent
    Tuesday December 13, 2005
    The Guardian

The terrorist threat to the UK has intensified so much since July 7 that Scotland Yard gets high-grade intelligence on suspects almost every day, in contrast to the monthly reports it received before the London bombings, the UK's most senior police chief said yesterday.

Sir Ian Blair, the commissioner of the Metropolitan police, told a Metropolitan Police Authority conference on terrorism, where relatives of the July 7 victims were among hundreds of delegates, that cells were plotting further attacks.

"The level of threat has intensified and continues to intensify. The terrorists are here and they are going to go on attempting to kill people like you and people like me," he said. "The sky is dark. You may argue on the current legal position or British government's position, but we are in a different place than before the opening of this century.

"There are currently people in the UK as we speak who are planning mass atrocities and who will use suicide as a weapon. That's a different place to where we have been in my lifetime."

He said there had been a 75% increase in counter-terrorism operations by his officers since the July bombings. Three conspiracies had been thwarted since July 7, which had resulted in charges and deportations, he said, although he declined to comment further owing to ongoing court cases.

"Before July 7, my service and the security services believed themselves to be absolutely flat out against international terrorism," he said. "We are now further flat out than we could have ever imagined ourselves to be."

Referring to high-grade intelligence reports, Sir Ian said: "Andy Hayman [the Met's assistant commissioner in charge of anti-terrorism] would expect to get, before July, maybe one every month. Now, it's almost daily." The UK terrorist threat level has remained at "severe general" since late August and security chiefs believe that London is a prime target.

Mark Oaten, the Liberal Democrat home affairs spokesman, said: "At best, these kind of statements reassure people that the police are pulling out the stops. At worst, they frighten members of the public. We can surely be given a more detailed threat assessment without jeopardising ongoing operations."

The increase in counter-terrorist activity could be due, in part, to more terrorists and better intelligence. But some experts believe the security services have widened their surveillance to include people on the outer edges of terrorist cells.

The Met Police Authority received an hour and a half-long confidential briefing from Sir Ian and Mr Hayman last week, which an MPA member and a former deputy mayor of London, Jenny Jones, described as "chilling".

-------------------------------------------------------------

If even the Guardian can report this without a lefty, appeasing slant then that should tell the resident tree huggers how serious the problem is..
    Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

"(Invading) Iraq has nothing to do with it (the increased threat). They (terrorists) are just using Iraq as an excuse."

Tony Blair, earlier this year

Comment

Originally posted by Chico
      Terrorism threat has increased: Met chief

· Intelligence on suspects received daily since 7/7
      · Three conspiracies foiled since London attacks

Rosie Cowan, crime correspondent
      Tuesday December 13, 2005
      The Guardian

The terrorist threat to the UK has intensified so much since July 7 that Scotland Yard gets high-grade intelligence on suspects almost every day, in contrast to the monthly reports it received before the London bombings, the UK's most senior police chief said yesterday.

Sir Ian Blair, the commissioner of the Metropolitan police, told a Metropolitan Police Authority conference on terrorism, where relatives of the July 7 victims were among hundreds of delegates, that cells were plotting further attacks.

"The level of threat has intensified and continues to intensify. The terrorists are here and they are going to go on attempting to kill people like you and people like me," he said. "The sky is dark. You may argue on the current legal position or British government's position, but we are in a different place than before the opening of this century.

"There are currently people in the UK as we speak who are planning mass atrocities and who will use suicide as a weapon. That's a different place to where we have been in my lifetime."

He said there had been a 75% increase in counter-terrorism operations by his officers since the July bombings. Three conspiracies had been thwarted since July 7, which had resulted in charges and deportations, he said, although he declined to comment further owing to ongoing court cases.

"Before July 7, my service and the security services believed themselves to be absolutely flat out against international terrorism," he said. "We are now further flat out than we could have ever imagined ourselves to be."

Referring to high-grade intelligence reports, Sir Ian said: "Andy Hayman [the Met's assistant commissioner in charge of anti-terrorism] would expect to get, before July, maybe one every month. Now, it's almost daily." The UK terrorist threat level has remained at "severe general" since late August and security chiefs believe that London is a prime target.

Mark Oaten, the Liberal Democrat home affairs spokesman, said: "At best, these kind of statements reassure people that the police are pulling out the stops. At worst, they frighten members of the public. We can surely be given a more detailed threat assessment without jeopardising ongoing operations."

The increase in counter-terrorist activity could be due, in part, to more terrorists and better intelligence. But some experts believe the security services have widened their surveillance to include people on the outer edges of terrorist cells.

The Met Police Authority received an hour and a half-long confidential briefing from Sir Ian and Mr Hayman last week, which an MPA member and a former deputy mayor of London, Jenny Jones, described as "chilling".

-------------------------------------------------------------

If even the Guardian can report this without a lefty, appeasing slant then that should tell the resident tree huggers how serious the problem is..

Seriously Chico, are you all right?

I think you are becoming rather obsessed.

If you are really concerned for the welfare of the people of Britain what about the thousands of preventable deaths that will happen due to fuel poverty in the UK ?

For example Scotland,a country abundant with Oil , 2500 people will die this winter because of fuel poverty.

And that is not a matter of speculation, but of fact.

So if you do want to protect people, why not become a campaiger against fuel poverty ?

Or perhaps you are sulking just becuase you didnt get the Iran War for Christmas you wanted ?

Cest la Vie .

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
        For example Scotland,a country abundant with Oil , 2500 people will die this winter because of fuel poverty.
        And what does the 430 million pound Scottish parliament have to say on that subject?

Comment

"Scotland,a country abundant with Oil " - sadly no longer the case - it's nearly all gone! a report has recently surfaced that was suppressed after its submission in the 70's, that scotland, if independent, would have had a per capita wealth greater than that of switzerland. can't imagine why the government, who are always looking after our best interests, suppressed it...still they know best eh?

Comment

Alfred you are right - I am obsessed - obsessed with defeating the terrorists evil doera and silencing those who are complicit in supporting them aka tree huggers and appeasers.
            Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

Originally posted by Chico
              Alfred you are right - I am obsessed - obsessed with defeating the terrorists evil doera and silencing those who are complicit in supporting them aka tree huggers and appeasers.
              You are fecking sick! Try a psychiatrist.

Comment

Chico,

Most of us on balance accept there is a serious threat. The degree of threat though (like it or not) has been compromised by a Government that demonstrably has no qualms about lieing to us. And by an increasingly politicised Met Police Commissioner whose agenda also appears compromised by a personal agenda.

Many people in the UK (not necessarily most) are rightly concerned with having substantive protection in laws and freedoms being taken away from us.

For my own part you can rightly accuse people such as myself for not wanting to take enough measure to counter the threat. But if we are to lose a great deal of legal protection and freedom then this would be in itself a serious threat to us.

You believe life is more precious than freedom. I say many thousands of decent people have sacrificed their lives to protect our freedoms. In that regard I say sometimes freedom is more precious than life. I suspect you take many of the benefits of freedom for granted and do not fully appreciate how fundamental freedom is or what life becomes without freedoms.

As, when or if a really massive terrorist outrage befalls this country or we fall prey to frequent attrocities either of which costs many innocent lives, then might be the time to remove our freedoms and protection under the law.

In other words I actually believe as a country, it is better to lose many innocent lives before sacrificing our legal protection and freedoms. When the people shout out to Government demanding "do something for God's sake", is the right time. But not before.

It is for the free people to demand our freedoms be curbed, not the Government or a Police Commissioner.

Comment

[QUOTE=BobTheCrate]In other words I actually believe as a country, it is better to lose many innocent lives before sacrificing our legal protection and freedoms. When the people shout out to Government demanding "do something for God's sake", is the right time. But not before.[QUOTE]

You see that is where we differ. To me the sanctity of life is paramount - it is sacred. What good is legal system and freedom if it does not safeguard life. The threat we face today is not for a political cause or against opppression it is a carte blanche to kill for killing sake. Kill the infidel, kill everyone just kill, kill, kill. Life is not important to these murderers - not even their own and that to me is the greatest threat we face today.
                  Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

[QUOTE=Chico][QUOTE=BobTheCrate]In other words I actually believe as a country, it is better to lose many innocent lives before sacrificing our legal protection and freedoms. When the people shout out to Government demanding "do something for God's sake", is the right time. But not before.

You see that is where we differ. To me the sanctity of life is paramount - it is sacred. What good is legal system and freedom if it does not safeguard life. The threat we face today is not for a political cause or against opppression it is a carte blanche to kill for killing sake. Kill the infidel, kill everyone just kill, kill, kill. Life is not important to these murderers - not even their own and that to me is the greatest threat we face today.
                    In that case Chico, let's round 'em all up, put 'em in a field and bomb the bastards until they're nearly dead.

Comment

Working...
                    X