• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Absurd to talk of Greece leaving euro-ECB's Trichet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absurd to talk of Greece leaving euro-ECB's Trichet

Asked how realistic he thought talk of Greece or any other member of the 16-strong club being pushed out of the euro or leaving the euro, Trichet told a news conference:

"I do not comment myself on absurd hypotheses, so that would be my response."

More: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE60D0V820100114

Ye can't buck the markets - Greece will probably stay in the Euro but someone will have to pay.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

yup...and that looks like errr well Greece actually.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

What do you expect him to say? Maybe something like "I said, 'Oi, Zorba, you better buck your ideas up me lad-o or we're gonna kick you out'"?
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Asked how realistic he thought talk of Greece or any other member of the 16-strong club being pushed out of the euro or leaving the euro, Trichet told a news conference:

"I do not comment myself on absurd hypotheses, so that would be my response."
          I would not expect someone in his position to say anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
            What do you expect him to say? Maybe something like "I said, 'Oi, Zorba, you better buck your ideas up me lad-o or we're gonna kick you out'"?
            They might do better if they made wine that tastes of grapes instead of mouldy resin. Someone might start buying it.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

He runs the bank that buys (for euros) debt of euro members, his words have more than notional value.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Ye can't buck the markets - Greece will probably stay in the Euro but someone will have to pay.
                Presumably you mean Germany?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Presumably you mean Germany?
                  EU GDP: US $14.91 trillion (2006)
                  Germany GDP: US $3.65 Trillion (current prices - 2008)

That's 25% of total EU GDP, other members will bear burden - that's the whole point of being in the same team.

Comment

The US has control over its 'burden'.

Germany (and the rest of the 'team') don't.

Comment

Working...
                    X