• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Arrrggghhhhh

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrrggghhhhh

My keyboard on my laptop is b*ggered (for want of a technical term), started playing silly beggars this arvo, with random letters etc.... seemingly interpersed in words and acting as if certain keys were stuck.

Have checked on linux (laptop is ms) to ensure the os is not the problem and checked using an external keyboard, suspect an internal hard drive failure.

Any other suggestions on the problem? (apart from buying a new one).
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Have you done the "turn it upside down and shake it side to side" thing?
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

(was it your mog that had its arse on the keyboard yesterday? has one of your mogs 'sprayed' the keyboard?)
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

yep, tried eveything, or rather I have left it in the capable hands of mr Norr who is a lot more technical than I am. He has run various diagnostics using separate keyboads and operating systems.
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Have you tried turning it off and on at the same time?

Gonna need a reeee-build. Seven days...

Comment

It definitely sounds mechanical.

Try an aerosol duster on it (a can of compressed air) from different directions.

If that doesn't work, strip down the laptop until you can get at the inside of the keyboard. Then clean it with a soft brush (like a camera brush).

Or, invest in a small, cheap USB keyboard. You can get really tiny ones.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
              It definitely sounds mechanical.

Or, invest in a small, cheap USB keyboard. You can get really tiny ones.
              Umm...

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
              Have... checked using an external keyboard
              Originally posted by norrahe View Post
              I have left it in the capable hands of mr Norr who... has run various diagnostics using separate keyboads and operating systems.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Umm...

I got the impression that meant the diagnostics said it was OK and an external one worked.

If not, then just rebuild the O/S from a clean disk.

(But I reckon it's cat piss corroding on the connector to the motherboard.)

Comment

I got the impression that meant the diagnostics said it was OK and an external one worked.

18 year old Glenlivet.

HTH
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

currently backing up, external keyboard and linux os have shown that it looks to be internal hard drive error.

new laptop it is then!

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X