• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where to go next .. LAMP to what ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to go next .. LAMP to what ?

A short contract period is coming to an end and I'm having a dilemma about what to do next.

The bulk of my experience is LAMP/Web development, on the back of some long perm roles at smaller companies. These have had me doing many things (Linux admin, PHP, MySQL DBA..) all of which I have got very good at, and can tailor my CV in any of those ways, but none of which are (IMO) enough to secure a reliable income contracting.

I'm tempted to try for some perm roles to get commercial experience, in an area which is distanced from web development, but leveraging my current knowledge without having to go in at the bottom again.

Network / server security seems an option, CISSP etc.
    MySQL DBA, or perhaps trying to get into DB2/Oracle
    or perhaps some sort of systems architecture role; but not sure whether to remain in LAMP or go wider - in which case is it worth me learning .net / Java etc...

any ideas on areas that I should investigate..

Working...
X