• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fundamentalist Mohammedan teaches at LSE

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fundamentalist Mohammedan teaches at LSE

According to my electronic copy of today’s Times, a gentleman named Reza Pankhurst has been lecturing at the London School of Economics. Aside from the irony of a gentleman named Pankhurst espousing religious views which could be seen as diametrically opposed to those of his eminent Mancunian namesake Mrs Emmeline, one is struck with a little discombobulation and confusion.

One part of my mind tells me this is lunacy; a reputable academic institution should not allow itself to be used for spreading the primitive superstitions of religious extremists, but another part of my mind says that a western European university is perhaps the best place for a fundamentalist nut; it is, after all, in these great cathedrals of academia that such a gentleman might find his ideas challenged with academic rigour, by young people who are minded to view that which they are told in a critical fashion.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6988753.ece

I’m curious as to the views of the panel.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    According to my electronic copy of today’s Times, a gentleman named Reza Pankhurst has been lecturing at the London School of Economics. Aside from the irony of a gentleman named Pankhurst espousing religious views which could be seen as diametrically opposed to those of his eminent Mancunian namesake Mrs Emmeline, one is struck with a little discombobulation and confusion.

One part of my mind tells me this is lunacy; a reputable academic institution should not allow itself to be used for spreading the primitive superstitions of religious extremists, but another part of my mind says that a western European university is perhaps the best place for a fundamentalist nut; it is, after all, in these great cathedrals of academia that such a gentleman might find his ideas challenged with academic rigour, by young people who are minded to view that which they are told in a critical fashion.

Do you think he watches films about Gladiators?
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      Do you think he watches films about Gladiators?
      NO, I imagine he prefers One Man and his Dog.

Comment

but another part of my mind says that a western European university is perhaps the best place for a fundamentalist nut; it is, after all, in these great cathedrals of academia that such a gentleman might find his ideas challenged with academic rigour, by young people who are minded to view that which they are told in a critical fashion.

Or not, sadly.

Unless they teach Philosophy/Critical Thinking as a 101 course for all new graduates these days...
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Aside from the irony of a gentleman named Pankhurst espousing religious views which could be seen as diametrically opposed to those of his eminent Mancunian namesake Mrs Emmeline, one is struck with a little discombobulation and confusion.
          One was a political activist criticised for their militant tactics, and the other was...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            Or not, sadly.

Unless they teach Philosophy/Critical Thinking as a 101 course for all new graduates these days...
            I did one of those courses at Poly and once attended a lecture by the late, great Carl Sagan in London. Very worthwhile indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary View Post
              One was a political activist criticised for their militant tactics, and the other was...
              One was a rational individual fighting and campaigning to improve the human condition. The other is a raving extremist fighting to send humanity back to the middle ages.

Comment

Did we ever get consulted on immigration policy in any general election campaign? Same goes for EU, gay rights, benefits system etc.

Comment

Here’s a first hand account of sermons given by Reza at LSE.

I work on the Strand and have been going for Friday prayers at LSE for over a year. I’ve heard Reza speak many times. His sermons are basically:
                  - “US foreign policy is responsible for many wars throughout history (some illegal like Iraq)”
                  - “US foreign policy often supports dictators who oppress their own people (Zia, Musharraf in Pakistan, Mubarak in Egypt, House of Saud in Saudia Arabia)” – this is usually his biggest gripe.
                  - “Muslims are vilified in the press – not all of us are terrorists”
                  - “Muslims in UK should peacefully protest US support for dictators” – this is the only one time he has actually asked for any action – and this was a specific protest against Zardari (president of pakistan)

However, never once, in the last year that have I heard him, has he enticed hatred, encourage people to act violently, or go off and join al-qaeda or the Taliban – or anything of that kind. I have never even heard him mention Hizb-ur-tahir (I group I do not agree with and have had run ins from my uni days in the 90s).

In fact, just a couple of weeks ago he was speaking against violent action and suicide bombers.

He wouldn’t have much luck at the LSE anyway, as majority of students there are more concerned about credit crunch and how they will get a good job now at the investment banks.

What he does outside the sermons, I cannot comment on – but don’t believe everything you read in the Times.

Comment

Working...
                  X