• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bullet Points

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bullet Points

What is the view about having bullet points on your CV ?

I'm against it - but I've just had mine reviewed and it has come up as an enhancement.

Also when you put
    <jobtile> - <clientco> Jan '09 - May'09

Does anyone put a brief description of clientco ?

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post

I'm against it - but I've just had mine reviewed and it has come up as an enhancement.

Also when you put

Mine's almost all bullet points and has been for years.

Bullets are easier to read for the hard of thinking agents and for hiring managers looking for salient info they don't have to wade through prose to find what they need (so many won't even bother).

I never put a brief descrition of the client, just the tasks performed.

Comment

Also when you put

Nope, who give a fig about what the clientco does, a CV is one of those things where you can shout IT'S ALL ABOUT ME BABY! YEAH!

Where's my tablets?
      Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

Also when you put

I use bullets rather than put wordy lists into a paragraph separated by commas. They are easier to read.

I put a few words description of clientco, such as:

Centrica - Large utility supplier
        Microsoft - Software developer and supplier

I've just looked at a CV for an interviewee, and I've never heard of two of his previous companies. A few words of description would have put me in context straight away.

Comment

Also when you put

I was advised (on the same course!) that if it is not obvious what the client does (e.g. Barclays or Fred Bloggs Automotive Parts Distribution) then a few words helps people put the role in a context.

Tester - Church of England
          Programmer - Scroggits (global retailer)
          Analyst - British Airways
          Manager - Bumways (organic agricultural soil feed producer)
          Dean - London School of Economics
          Director - KnobrotCo (evil big pharma)
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Mine tends to look something like this, no company names:

Consultant. Manufacturing, Germany. 2009
            WebSphere Technical Support. Government Departments, Germany. 2009
            Software Tester, Developer and Support. Software and Hardware Manufacturer, Germany. 2007-2008
            zSeries and zFrame Technical Solutions Consultant. Software and Hardware Manufacturer, EMEA. 2003-2009
            zSeries Systems Programmer. Machinery Manufacturer, Germany. 2003-2005
            blah blah blah
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Mine is full of bullet holes, but then I am a cowboy contractor according to some.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                Bullets are easier to read for the hard of thinking agents and for hiring managers looking for salient info they don't have to wade through prose to find what they need (so many won't even bother).
                WHS.

I had mine separated into single-line paragraphs, an agent called and asked if I could bullet point them and resend it.....

Comment

I use bullet points with a very brief description of the business area (e.g. retail media)
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Tee hee.

I've always put the client name and a brief description such as "Insurance" or "Chemical Manufacturer".

However, I recently dropped one client's name in favour of "Big Bank" because said client has had a bit of bad press lately.

Edit: To answer the question...

Yes. Bullet points all the way.
                    Last edited by Sysman; 15 January 2010, 16:11.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X