• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear, What a To-Do (Part XCIV)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear, What a To-Do (Part XCIV)

<tpd>
    Having made my way from the pub to the FMB bar this evening I found it very crowded, but as usual I was soon able to get a spec at the bar. I found myself adjacent to a group of four or five (mixed sex) who seemed mostly harmless... but then a chap turned up and started arguing with the lady stood next to me. Well, to be accurate, he had a brief word with her, then told another male member of the group that he "wanted to talk"... given that the bloke was clearly with another lady and remained equable throughout, this didn't seem to go anywhere.

Chap then started arguing with the lady next to me - well, arguing is a bit strong, but it was obvious that he felt he had some claim on her attention and she felt nothing of the kind. By now I was keeping the corner of my eye on things - knowing when to rapidly move a few yards away is an essential skill in such situations.

Anyway, she apparently said something that threw him into a sulk, and he came and leant on the bar on the other side of me and atempted to engage me in conversation:

"Awright?"

"Yes thanks; you?"

"It's all tulip innit."

"What, life?"

"You can't even find a decent bird in this place."

"..."

"My missis doesn't trust me..."

- at which point the lady to my left (who must have been eavesdropping - not the mark of a true lady) span round, thrust her face across me and shouted "What you sayin'?"

"I'm sayin..."

"Don't you say nothin'! I've told you, come 'ere, I wanna word with you..." - it went on like this for about ten seconds until he went back around me to speak to her. They stood a short distance from the bar, apparently under the misguided belief that this prevented their drunken slanging match from being heard by their friends, and indeed me.

After about thirty seconds he suddenly turned back and slammed his glass on the bar so hard that it exploded everywhere

Starting back, I wondered if I was about to witness a glassing (which I've only seen once before, and don't want to see again) but he stormed off towards the door. She started chasing after him but then also turned back (presumably remembering the "no glasses outside" policy) and slammed her glass on the bar next to the remains of his with equal violence - although in her case it just bounced and didn't explode

So they both stormed outside as the doormen were trying to storm inside. One let them out and watched them while another came in and asked me who had done what, so I gave him a brief account.

Weirdly, the chap and lady, having been informed in no uncertain terms that they would not be allowed back in, then stayed right outside, leaning on the window that was so grievously assaulted with an accordion the other week, deep in conversation, for above quarter of an hour

Ho hum; the staff replaced my drink (I'd just bought a fresh pint, but who knows what fragments or slivers might have landed in it) and cleared the exploded glass from the approximately six feet of bar over which it had spread. I got a couple of puncture wounds on the back of my left hand where big sharp chunks hit it and bounced off - they stopped bleeding after a minute or two, so nothing to worry about.

All this, and Saturday night yet to come. Life in the city is good
    </tpd>

Thanks for the story Nick.

I can't but help think that wine bars are a safer bet.

The only thing you might get there is a loud yuppie complaining about losing a few quid on derivatives or something.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Which city was this?

T

Comment

Sounds like an episode of East Enders.

People who are just above the animal kingdom in terms of self emotional control but they're in your neighbourhood !!!

Comment

<tpd>
          Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          I got a couple of puncture wounds on the back of my left hand where big sharp chunks hit it and bounced off - they stopped bleeding after a minute or two, so nothing to worry about.
          Examine that hand closely in the daylight and with a bright lamp. Check there are no splinters remaining.

Do you want the details of a friend + broken chemistry flask + thought all bits were out + ten years later ?

</tpd>
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
            I can't but help think that wine bars are a safer bet.
            I would agree with that, but a few years ago I was in Ronnie Scotts (THE most laid back place ever) and a bunch of tards had a massive, shouty punchup FFS!

To be fair they were dragged by their gonads out of the place in seconds by the bouncers.

Unfortunately, until we remove scum with no respect from society, going out in certain places in the UK is never going to be as pleasant and civilised as it once was. And high prices don't seem to deter them either.
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Yes, we find ourselves spending much more time at our local than going into Nottingham, though the real ale pubs are on the edges of it.

The centre is definitely not the safest place to be on a Saturday night...
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

What's an FMB bar?

This is why I only go to pubs where I feel sure I can sit in the corner by myself and nobody will talk to me.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  This is why I only go to pubs where I feel sure I can sit in the corner by myself and nobody will talk to me.
                  Don't worry - you weren't in any danger of that happening

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    What's an FMB bar?
                    It's explained in TPD - I'm sure you'll find it. To help you along, it was sometime around late summer 2007.

Comment

Working...
                    X