• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How Much Info To Put On Your LinkedIn Profile

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Much Info To Put On Your LinkedIn Profile

Starting to think about my next contract - I am up for renewal in 4 months time and need to get networking

I ve not used LinkedIn much but a few people swear by it - How much info do people think is worth including and do you accept friend requests from agents

Take a look at this profile for example in a similar role at a competitor- Seems way excessive and detailed to me

Does it make sense to give a long breakdown of what you did and is this just used by pimps or do employers now use linkedin??

What does the panel think?
    Last edited by joey122; 17 January 2010, 22:59.

Joey, make sure you put there the kind of movies you like ...

Comment

That profile looks about right , IMO.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by joey122 View Post
        Take a look at this profile for example in a similar role at a competitor- Seems way excessive and detailed to me
        If you have the skills and experience, you sell it.

If you don't, then just tell yourself that everyone else's profiles are "way excessive and detailed"......

Comment

Originally posted by joey122 View Post
          Starting to think about my next contract - I am up for renewal in 4 months time and need to get networking

I ve not used LinkedIn much but a few people swear by it - How much info do people think is worth including and do you accept friend requests from agents

http://uk.linkedin.com/in/kadajack

Does it make sense to give a long breakdown of what you did and is this just used by pimps or do employers now use linkedin??

What does the panel think?
          Don't see the point - it is CVs that agents read through when advertising for jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
            Don't see the point - it is CVs that agents read through when advertising for jobs.
            I know people who've got contracts direct with clients through LinkedIn - they've updated their profile to show their availability, and somebody in their network (which is up to three degrees of separation) has that requirement.

No agency - lovely

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              I know people who've got contracts direct with clients through LinkedIn - they've updated their profile to show their availability, and somebody in their network (which is up to three degrees of separation) has that requirement.

No agency - lovely
              Fair enough. I don't know anybody, but then I rarely ask, and for some reason I can't be arsed with it.

I don't mind good agents, and I know one or two.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

No agency - lovely
                Whilst that LinkedIn profile is impressive I m not certain its completely honest - A lot of what that user has written is subjective - I mean "Excellent C#" - Compared to what exactly??? ho is the benchmark

Does anyone work in finance who can comment on whether that kind of profile is common in banking as far as contracting is concerned or more of a perm background?? I have to say I certainly am not so hot on the business side but probably am similar on the programming side
                Last edited by joey122; 16 January 2010, 19:18.

Comment

Can you post a link to your current profile for us to compare?

Is 4 months really how far ahead to look for a contract? Many contracts don't even last that long!
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Can you post a link to your current profile for us to compare?

Is 4 months really how far ahead to look for a contract? Many contracts don't even last that long!
                    most people start putting the feelers out for a new gig about a month before hand and then start really looking a couple of weeks before current gig ending.

the status is a good way of advertising availabilty without having to email pimps and direct contacts.
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X