• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Likelihood of return to contracting??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Likelihood of return to contracting??

Dear all,

I'd like to get some idea of how likely I would be to get a job in IT contracting again. The reason I ask is because I work as an academic in computing (teaching plus some research), and last did some IT contracting 10 years ago. But I might need to look for alternative employment this summer, so am wondering how hard I would find it to get started again.

I'd appreciate any comments. I use Python, PHP, Java on an every day basis - though not with the usual framework bolt-ons - plus I do things like Erlang and Scala, with peer-to-peer networking stuff. I'm based in London.

Thanks

Simon

The market is dead quiet at the moment. There's loads of contractors sat on the bench looking for work, and not much to be had.

By all means do not let that stop you looking and applying, but I seriously suggest you consider and act upon any alternatives you can come up with too.

If you are in work (which you appear to be), I suggest you stay there and not do anything hasty which you will regret.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Richard. I fully intend to stay where I am if I can help it, but there are strong reasons for thinking that my leaving might be compulsory. Hopefully things will pick up by the summer when this issue will reach its head.

Thanks again,

Simon

Comment

Working...
      X