• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

National Lottery

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

National Lottery

Missed the draw on TV so went online to get the results. Nada, so ticket went straight on fire. Then take a closer look and see that they haven't updated the site , was looking at wednesday's results - 2 hours after the draw ffs! Then I go to teletext and guess what? 3 numbers. Might have well just bunged a tenner on the fire. Useless twunts.

Apologies for my ignorance as I've come to this country after receiving solid (minus political stuff and falsified history) Soviet edukation: at what point in the UK people get taught about probabilities and stuff like "games theory"?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      at what point in the UK people get taught about probabilities and stuff like "games theory"?
      When the advert comes on the telly and says "You've gotta be in it to win it!"
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Apologies for my ignorance as I've come to this country after receiving solid (minus political stuff and falsified history) Soviet edukation: at what point in the UK people get taught about probabilities and stuff like "games theory"?

£1 wins >£2m @ 14000000-1?

You'd be foolish not to play...
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Not much difference in education USSR and UK education in the 50s and 60s. The UK started pushing Russian language as the third language to learn at school ( a good thing) but we were also taught a load of BS propaganda about the British Empire and how God gave Israel to the Jews and that Africans live in mud huts.
          Last edited by Paddy; 17 January 2010, 08:02.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            Not much difference in education USSR and UK education in the 50s and 60s. The UK started pushing Russian language as the third language to learn at school ( a good thing) but we were also taught a load of BS propaganda about the British Empire and how God gave Israel to the Jews and that Africans live in mud huts.
            I don't remember any of that by the late 60s and 70s. Except about the old British Empire obviously, which was a fact.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
              When the advert comes on the telly and says "You've gotta be in it to win it!"
              Exactly

OH in "Miser: Please, please God let me win the jackpot! God: "Mate, meet me half way - Buy a bleedin ticket!!" mode
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

You'd think the Russkis would get their real world sorted a bit, before they started concentrating on games

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  £1 wins >£2m @ 14000000-1?

You'd be foolish not to play...
                  I remember a Radio 4 programme exploring the odds when the lottery first started. They reckoned that roulette odds were better.

The first time I bought a scratch card (curiosity got the better of me), I "won" 2 quid, whereupon the newsagent persuaded me to have another go, which of course didn't win. Theoretically I had won 2 quid but I'd spent 2 to get there. It struck me that the Lottery could afford to give away as many of those as they fancied.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                    I remember a Radio 4 programme exploring the odds when the lottery first started. They reckoned that roulette odds were better.
                    The Roulette Wheel is actually the most generous form of betting. If it has just the one green '0' (some have a '00' too) then, on average, you get back 97.3% of your stake on each bet. For the National Lottery I believe it is 50%.
                    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X