• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scots "Drink About Eleven Pints a Week Each"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scots "Drink About Eleven Pints a Week Each"

Yet more utterly meaningless statistics

Maybe they should set up a trading scheme, as with carbon emissions: a Presbyterian minister from the Western Isles could trade his weekly 26.5 units with some Glasgow hard man who fancies more than a couple of pints a night and is willing to be the embodiment of the evils of drink, to be used as an example in hell-raising sermons
    Last edited by NickFitz; 17 January 2010, 03:57. Reason: Presbyterian, obviously

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Yet more utterly meaningless statistics

Maybe they should set up a trading scheme, as with carbon emissions: a Presbyterian minister from the Western Isles could trade his weekly 26.5 units with some Glasgow hard man who fancies more than a couple of pints a night and is willing to be the embodiment of the evils of drink, to be used as an example in hell-raising sermons
    Mmmmmm. Two questions: a) would it have derivatives such as swaps, futures and options; and b) can you go short?

Actually, 11 pints doesn't sound a lot. It's a lot for me at the moment, but I have a not from Andyw's mum saying that for medical reasons I have to limit my intake. For the general population, is less that two pints a day; hardly binge drinking.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Prohibition is on its way

The research was based on industry sales data analysed by NHS Health Scotland.
      So it erroneously includes all the Scotch bought by tourists.

In England and Wales, the total for the same period was 9.7 litres per person.
      Which excludes the vast quantity imported from France every day by the residents of Kent, Essex and SE London.

The Scottish government said the figure, which had remained static since 2005...

She added: "All the evidence tells us that the big rise in Scottish alcohol consumption...
      Make you mind up.

"As a consequence, our country now faces an unprecedented burden from alcohol-related health problems, crime and lost economic productivity, which runs into billions and which we are all paying for.
      Any facts to back that up? (Other than the discredited ones from the NHS from a week or two ago.)

"Currently there is nothing to stop supermarkets selling alcohol more cheaply than bottled water
      That's because bottled water is a scam, and that statement proves it is a scam.

Labour health spokeswoman Jackie Baillie MSP said: "I believe that alcohol abuse is the most important public health issue we face in Scotland today.
      Actually, it is heart disease, cancer, then Alzheimers. BTW, when did smoking, heroin, 'not enough exercise', AIDS, underage pregnancy and swine 'flu go away, then?

Clueless, lying and/or misguided twats who are hiding the fact they have no idea how to country a country behind scaremongering based on false statistics.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Sounds like a challenge to me - we're (south of the border) playing catch up!!

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
          Sounds like a challenge to me - we're (south of the border) playing catch up!!
          I can't help I don't buy all the alcohol I drink and I don't drink all the alcohol I buy.

And I do more of the first than the second.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            I can't help I don't buy all the alcohol I drink and I don't drink all the alcohol I buy.

And I do more of the first than the second.
            I do much more of the second than the first so you're balanced out

Comment

11 pints each a week? So let's see, 2 units per pint makes that a weekly intake of about 22 units. They clearly did not research this in the part of Scotland that I grew up in. 11 pints is Friday night!!
              Do they perhaps have some form of Hockey Stick graph to back this up?
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Lightweights!
                +50 Xeno Geek Points
                Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                  I do much more of the second than the first so you're balanced out
                  See? A market is already arising naturally through the pursuit of enlightened self-interest by individuals! Adam Smith would be proud

Comment

Half a weak shandy with straw and cherry for me please. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X