• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rate of the day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rate of the day

Even in the Netherlands, times are hard:

Position: Dutch speaker IT Project manager
    Rate: EUR70 - EUR71 per Day
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Even in the Netherlands, times are hard:
    Do they pay less if you live near the client? Seems some contractors here would be prepared to take roles on less money because it's 'local'!
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
      Seems some contractors here would be prepared to take roles on less money because it's 'local'!
      And why not?

We bought furniture for our office from local company and they did free delivery because we are local.

Many take aways deliver for free if you are local and order is greater than £10.

Comment

True. Our postman delivers letters for free because we are local.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
          True. Our postman delivers letters for free because we are local.
          What makes you think postman lives on the same street with you?

Locality is a relative thing - for some that's few blocks, for others it's a few thousand miles.

Say I work locally now - 5 miles away from office, can work from home, previously (many moons ago) I had to commute by car on M6 about 100 miles per day, that was at the time when fuel cost only £35 per tank of diesel, still was not cheap.

At current prices not communiting that far would save me £200 per month in direct fuel costs, plus a lot more on car maintenance, and far more on aggro. Naturally if I was choosing between local office and previous job I'd gladly drop my salary by £5k because after tax it would work out in my favour - calm easy drive is priceless.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            What makes you think postman lives on the same street with you?
            I didn't say I knew where he lives. I live in Bucks - do you think he might live in Leeds? I'll ask him. He probably does actually, he looks the sort.

Comment

Do they pay less if you live near the client? Seems some contractors here would be prepared to take roles on less money because it's 'local'!
              Oooh, he must be taking it personally. Making the mature move of taking his complaint into a another thread to bitch about it. When actually he gets it wrong. It's charging more for far away roles, not a discount for local ones.

I bet if I ask a plumber from Essex to quote to work on my house in Durham, he'll say he expects to charge me for travel/accomodation costs.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                I didn't say I knew where he lives.
                You said: "True. Our postman delivers letters for free because we are local."

Given discussion topic above when I said doing work local may well involve reduction in salary requirements due to objective reasons (lower costs to travel to work) it was implied by you that your postman is local, though you did it in a very peculiar way by saying that YOU are local, that in no way really meant that postman actually lives locally to you.

HTH

Comment

Many companies in Holland specify a local contractor to fit with their new found 'Green' thing. Your address generally has to be within 45 minutes commute.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    You said: "True. Our postman delivers letters for free because we are local."

Given discussion topic above when I said doing work local may well involve reduction in salary requirements due to objective reasons (lower costs to travel to work) it was implied by you that your postman is local, though you did it in a very peculiar way by saying that YOU are local, that in no way really meant that postman actually lives locally to you.

HTH
                    He only brings the letters about three miles from our local sorting office. As the crow flies.

Do you think he lives in Leeds then?

Comment

Working...
                    X