• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bye bye Wimbledon. Bye bye Word Cup 2018. Bye bye UK sport

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bye bye Wimbledon. Bye bye Word Cup 2018. Bye bye UK sport

Courtesy of Toocan in the BN66 thread:

Originally posted by Toocan View Post
    where we once welcomed productive people to this country, now we scare them away http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/money/tax/article6991066.ece
    I do not like sport. It does not interest me. Yet even I can see this is just national self-destruction.

Taxman scares off top sport stars
    New rules threaten to drive away some of the biggest overseas names from showcase events in Britain

Some of the world’s top sports stars are turning their backs on tournaments in Britain because of “draconian” taxes now being imposed on their worldwide sponsorship deals.

Big events could lose some of their main attractions because of a new offensive by HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) to impose levies on money from endorsements. It confirmed this weekend that it is also targeting sponsors’ performance-related bonuses.

For example, if a sports star plays in two tournaments or races in two marathons a year, and one of those events is in Britain, they could be charged 50% tax on half their total annual sponsorship money.

“In previous years the tax charge would be based on how many days of the year the sportsman was in the UK. So if they played in a two-week tournament, one 26th of their endorsement income would be liable for UK tax.

“Now, HMRC bases it on what proportion of your competition events are in the UK. So, if you only play five tournaments a year and one of them is here, one fifth of your endorsement earnings would be liable for tax.”

The HMRC said the tax was always levied on a “just and reasonable” basis.

Wembley was ruled out of holding this year’s Champions League final after failing to provide assurances that players taking part would not be taxed on their salaries. “Yes, the reason was the taxes,” said Michel Platini, the Uefa president. Instead the final went to Real Madrid’s Bernabeu stadium.

The threat is such that Fifa, football’s ruling body, has already asked for an exemption for the 2018 World Cup if it is held in England.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

I find it suprising such cases are taxed in the first place. Then again maybe I should not be suprised. Did Conservatives have anything like this in place?

Comment

Soon it wont just be the sports stars. It will be the city too. This country will just be full of chavs on their free laptops soon.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        I find it suprising such cases are taxed in the first place. Then again maybe I should not be suprised. Did Conservatives have anything like this in place?
        No. Although I believe some of this is slippery re-interpretation of existing laws.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          It will be the city too.
          If this country only consisted of just London with say 5 mln living there then the City could have provided everyone, but it can't support whole country.

Consequently the best thing that can happen to this country is disappearance of the City. The only banks that should stay there are those who do retail banking and investment into UK itself - some money can go abroad to support UK businesses that do exports there, and some banks can support foreign direct investment into this country - meaning investment that creates proper jobs, real exports etc.

This would remove illusions about getting big money from nothing and country will need to focus on things it did well in the past - diversified things, not just one baloon full of hot air that will blow in your face at the worst possible time.

Comment

Yeah why should these multi-millionaire sports stars pay tax... we should pay more instead.

I don't know if anyone has noticed but we are in a big pile of tulip debt and it has to be paid somehow.

BTW I'm pretty sure Wimbledon won't happen anywhere outside the UK.
            Last edited by gingerjedi; 17 January 2010, 18:43.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              I don't know if anyone has noticed but we are in a big pile of tulip debt and it has to be paid somehow.
              That will pay a fraction of debt and will almost certainly cost money - if big starts don't come to UK events then ticket sales will be lower, hotels occupancy etc etc.

Comment

God, how does this government manage to wreck literally everything it touches?

They're like that cloud of nanobots in the "Day the Earth Stood Still" remake I downloaded an excellent pirate copy of yesterday - Everything they crawl over instantly turns to dust and ashes.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

This is old news: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4990126.stm

None of the big name stars stopped turning up since then.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    If this country only consisted of just London with say 5 mln living there then the City could have provided everyone, but it can't support whole country.
                    If the country consisted only of London, there wouldn't be 5 mln living there. They would have starved to death. Think about it.

Not sure why Britain wants any more major events in the next decade - does anyone know what the final bill to the taxpayer is for the Olympics yet?
                    Last edited by SizeZero; 17 January 2010, 19:24.
                    Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Working...
                    X