• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Illegal file-share trial ends in acquittal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Illegal file-share trial ends in acquittal

Interesting (I think) article here:
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/08de6626-0...44feabdc0.html

Well done that man - earning £11k per month from his website!

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Well done that man - earning £11k per month from his website!
    What's so well done in it? The only "hard" thing in this making money on other people's work is not get in prison, and he sure managed to avoid it.

Comment

The simple answer to illegal file sharing and piracy is for the music and film publishers to offer their products for a cheap price, world wide as soon as the products are released.

The publishers could offer good quality product, fast downloads and make a revenue albeit a relatively modest one per sale.

If people could get the product legit, fast, cheap and on demand then they wouldn't bother with finding a dodgy download.

Most of the sales lost though piracy would be prevented and the claims that buying bootleg CD's and DVD's finances terrorism would go away.

It's high time that the music and film industries are dragged kicking and screaming into the 20th let alone the 21st century.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
        The simple answer to illegal file sharing and piracy is for the music and film publishers to offer their products for a cheap price, world wide as soon as the products are released.
        Indeed - there should be an entity that takes in all that data and offers subscriptions to whatever you like to listen or watch, money is then split according to what people actually listened/watched.

This does not mean that what this guy did is right in any way.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Indeed - there should be an entity that takes in all that data and offers subscriptions to whatever you like to listen or watch, money is then split according to what people actually listened/watched.

This does not mean that what this guy did is right in any way.
          My new album is doing well, you can download most of the tracks from the website for free and I encourage copying. I'm still making money.

The record company I ditched before setting up my own and people like them are making the most noise about illegal file sharing not the artists.
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
            My new album is doing well, you can download most of the tracks from the website for free and I encourage copying. I'm still making money.
            That's fine by me - you made that choice and no problems.

But this guy wasn't making money on albums like this did he?

I certainly don't like recording labels as they live in the last century, however it is amazing that this guy walks away from court - something is wrong with justice if such clearly wrong behavior isn't dealt with and the person makes lots of money and walks away.

He apparently claimed he was just a search engine like Google

Comment

That's fine by me - you made that choice and no problems.

But this guy wasn't making money on albums like this did he?

I certainly don't like recording labels as they live in the last century, however it is amazing that this guy walks away from court - something is wrong with justice if such clearly wrong behavior isn't dealt with and the person makes lots of money and walks away.

Yeah, I couldn't figure why he got off, maybe because he didn't physically hold any files on his server. Perhaps the law needs to catch up.
              Me, me, me...

Comment

You seem unwilling to accept that he was sent to trial and found not guilty.

Comment

The record company I ditched before setting up my own and people like them are making the most noise about illegal file sharing not the artists.
                  The business model makes sense, I'm glad you're making money from your efforts and that people get to enjoy your music.

Films wise; odds are I would buy quite a few downloads on spec, go to the cinema (none in Halifax which is rediculous so it's a trip tp Bradford or Huddersfield) to see the ones I liked rather than not bothering and the industry would make more money out of me. At the moment I tend to just wait for films to come on Sky unless they've really caught my eye, I believe my last cinema visit was in August...

Comment

Yeah, I couldn't figure why he got off, maybe because he didn't physically hold any files on his server. Perhaps the law needs to catch up.
                    I assume it's a case of the prosecution not having sufficient evidence to convince the court he engaged in activities prohibited by a law currently on the statute books.

Comment

Working...
                    X