• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dear Uncle Sam : Video Blog (Non-MS related)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear Uncle Sam : Video Blog (Non-MS related)

I think I've got a You Tube bug.

I'm signed off work at the moment, due to an MS Relapse, and I've been getting more and more bored every day.

I never thought I'd get bored at home, because I've plenty of hobbies to keep me interested, but when nearly all of them rely either on fine hand control (I've left my myself open for a joke there I know...I was talking about small miniature painting, writing music), it's a bit disheartening not to be able to do them.

Computer gaming and watching DVD's is just not the same with an eyepatch, and I haven't touched a game for months anyway.

So, feeling completely useless, I guess I had a vacuum to fill, which is why I got involved with the MS-CCSVI-UK movement, and I felt useful again, with something worthwhile to do.

But doing serious videos is hard work, and underneath it all, I get cranky and somewhat depressed when I cannot artistically or creatively express.

So, the You Tube thing has been a great pick me up during my convalescence, and if you don't mind indulging my inner luvvie, I have pleasure in presenting my latest video, which is non-ms related.

Have fun !

Dear Uncle Sam : British History : From Cavemen to Celts.
    Last edited by Board Game Geek; 19 January 2010, 07:59.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

"We don't mind being invaded but we do like a bit of notice first. It's only polite..."

"I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

A better quality microphone is needed.

Work on framing. A medium close up is a little closer in and a little lower down. There's a rule of thirds: one third this, one third that and one third the other. Think of the screen as a stretched tic-tac-toe.

Comedy: timing is everything.

Good content.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
        A better quality microphone is needed.

Work on framing. A medium close up is a little closer in and a little lower down. There's a rule of thirds: one third this, one third that and one third the other. Think of the screen as a stretched tic-tac-toe.

Comedy: timing is everything.

Good content.
        Thanks for the tips Mr T.

I did try a medium close up, but because I don't have a best grip to hand, I'm left with one focal point and that's it. Therefore, knowing that I had to frame a book in the intro (and wanted viewers to see the title) and also had a moment when I unsheated a sword (and wanted it far away from my TFT !), I had to try and find a middle ground.

It certainly makes you aware of how much skill and work is involved in proper shooting.

Yup, timing is everything, and something I will hopefully get to learn as I continue my voyage. Could do better I know.

With regards to the microphone, was it the words were not clear (although I try to elocute clearly), or my accent, or speed of speech, or what ?

Glad you enjoyed the content !
        Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

hey BGG

If you want something game related, that does not require a fine hand, but does require a sharp head, pm me. I am in need of a dual, a blood brother, to help me out in a tricky situation. It's time consuming, free and requires balls of steel

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            hey BGG

If you want something game related, that does not require a fine hand, but does require a sharp head, pm me. I am in need of a dual, a blood brother, to help me out in a tricky situation. It's time consuming, free and requires balls of steel

Sorry, I don't have spare Gladiator's costume.

Ask HAB

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
              With regards to the microphone, was it the words were not clear (although I try to elocute clearly), or my accent, or speed of speech, or what ?
              When you got too close it distorted a bit, it was also a bit variable on volume when you moved around.

I think you might need to find a middle ground between effectiveness and bulk.

How about a small clip-on mic?

(Blaster gave me a lot of useful advice when I first started out...)
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

No, it was the mic letting it down. Needs to be better quality. There was a bit of too quiet, and a bit of overload. So I think it was just the mic.

Comment

Oh, and you moved around a bit, so a stereo mic might be a good idea, to reinforce the movement.

Comment

Thanks for the tips !

I'll continue experimenting with position and sound and do some test vids for home assessment.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                    X