• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FLAC v MP3

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FLAC v MP3

I had a day off yesterday (coz the septics were on 'oliday) and got talked into helping a mate out round his place.

He was banging on about getting one of these Digital Stream Players from Linn. I've vaguely heard of FLAC and these players, but know nothing about them. My hearing is rubbish and I've only tested it out here on my dodgy PC speakers, but frak if I can tell the difference between FLAC and MP3.

What is the wisdom of the CUK congregation?

BTW, the 'Living Sea' sound track is brilliant. Especially the longer version of Mad about you.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

If it doesn't support MP3 then it's tulip.

HTH

Comment

AIUI Flac is best if you want to convert into other formats as you don't have an inherent loss, but there's no way I could tell the difference between FLAC and a 320kbps MP3. Some people say they can but I doubt if anyone over 35-ish would have the ear to tell the difference.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Any perceptible difference will be more pronounced on better kit. Audiophile mates of mine (some of which are prepared to spend $2000 on devices such as the Logitech Transporter, and then pay more to have it tweaked and modified) assure me of the benefits of FLAC, but personally I find LAME encoded 320kbps MP3 to be ample.
        Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

I find the quality is better with FLAC.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

What are they like in terms of file size?
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
              What are they like in terms of file size?
              FLAC files can be around 40Mb for a 3 minute track.

More info here.
              Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Well I'd imagine a 40mb MP3 file sounds pretty good also. What would the bitrate be on a 40mb MP3
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

If you can't tell the difference between mp3 and flac then you've got serious hearing problems.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                    If you can't tell the difference between mp3 and flac then you've got serious hearing problems.
                    Pardon.......... igmc

Comment

Working...
                    X