• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV sadvice on CUK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV sadvice on CUK

Here http://www.contractoruk.com/004711.html

Sorry but 2 pages for contractors with more than a couple of years experience doesnt cut it.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

I hate this advice about 2 pages. I've had a lot of work experiece and need to give some information about it, but in the past i've had agents tell me they won't submit my CV until it's two pages long (it's only 3 sometimes 4). I tell them to **** off, cos I get every job I go for!

Comment

Prepare a CV for each specific position. Ask the agency to give you the most details possible, so you can adjust your CV to that position while remaining truthful.
      Yeah right

A CV isn't an application form, it either has all the relevant details from your employment history or it's incomplete or you're applying for the wrong job.
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Do people put contact details on their cv? I always do that by covering letter, or if they pick it up from one of the jobsites they get contacts that way. Seems to work.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
          I hate this advice about 2 pages. I've had a lot of work experiece and need to give some information about it, but in the past i've had agents tell me they won't submit my CV until it's two pages long (it's only 3 sometimes 4). I tell them to **** off, cos I get every job I go for!
          WHS - Two or three agents I've discussed this with say 4 or 5 pages is fine.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            Yeah right

A CV isn't an application form, it either has all the relevant details from your employment history or it's incomplete or you're applying for the wrong job.
            For me it's pretty much one cv fits all! Can't be *rsed changing the cv all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              Yeah right

Absolutely. Regardless of whether you tailor it, it is your CV, not their application form.
              Step outside posh boy

Comment

Oh, come on, what is wrong with the 2 page thing. You simply state that further job/assignment history is available on demand, as with references.

I was talking to one agent recently and it was my one paragraph summary that told him whether I was suitable and not one agent or client has really been interest in anything other than the last two assignments.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
                  Oh, come on, what is wrong with the 2 page thing. You simply state that further job/assignment history is available on demand, as with references.

I was talking to one agent recently and it was my one paragraph summary that told him whether I was suitable and not one agent or client has really been interest in anything other than the last two assignments.
                  If you're a jack of all trades like me then the more buzzwords and dog whistles you can work into a CV the more chance it has of being dredged out by searches, and all those details take space.

OTOH, if you are in a speciality, like insurance or financials or something, and have been for years with no realistic prospect (or desire) to change then, yes, perhaps a short CV is adequate.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Mine is 5 pages and like other have said I've got every job I've went for. Naffs me off when agents request this. If I cannot put my history on paper it looks like I've just not taken myself seriously and I would think the same if the position were reversed.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X