• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Daily Boom

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily Boom

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/e...economies.html

Boomed!

Gordon is our saviour.

Sit back and enjoy the prosperity.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Sit back and enjoy the prosperity.

shared prosperity

GBP/EUR exchange rate is

Maybe I should have bought a derivative on GBP last year

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

shared prosperity

GBP/EUR exchange rate is

Maybe I should have bought a derivative on GBP last year

SPECULANT!

Comment

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
        SPECULANT!
        It would not be speculation, which in Wikipedia defined as: "In finance, speculation is a financial action that does not promise safety of the initial investment along with the return on the principal sum"

A long term call option on a currency would be a hedging operation, perfectly valid use of derivatives. There is good economic sense in it, unlike spread betting and buying/selling such options all day long just to make money on difference in rates.

Comment

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
          SPECULANT!
          SPEKULANT
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

It would not be speculation, which in Wikipedia defined as: "In finance, speculation is a financial action that does not promise safety of the initial investment along with the return on the principal sum"

A long term call option on a currency would be a hedging operation, perfectly valid use of derivatives. There is good economic sense in it, unlike spread betting and buying/selling such options all day long just to make money on difference in rates.
            Bollocks it wouldn't.
            ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
              Bollocks it wouldn't.
              An exporter that exports from Country with currency A to Country with currency B may wish to buy call option to exchange currency B to currency A to reduce currency risk.

That's a normal financial operation that is done in the course of normal business - it does not pursue goal to enrich oneself on constantly changing exchange rates, no - all it does is provides some certainity by reducing currency risk in exchange for some known cost.

Comment

An exporter that exports from Country with currency A to Country with currency B may wish to buy call option to exchange currency B to currency A to reduce currency risk.

That's a normal financial operation that is done in the course of normal business - it does not pursue goal to enrich oneself on constantly changing exchange rates, no - all it does is provides some certainity by reducing currency risk in exchange for some known cost.
                I'd love to have a coherent argument, but I'm pretty wasted. Maybe tomorrow...
                ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                  I'd love to have a coherent argument, but I'm pretty wasted. Maybe tomorrow...
                  Anytime old chap!

Comment

Working...
                  X