• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cheapness

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheapness

I am taking over an application written in India, for cheapness. Heres some cheapness: the user entering a customer can choose the customer's postcode from a list of postcodes for that customer's country. The country name in the postcode list is in French. The country name in the customer list is in English. No match, no postcode, so no address, so no customer contact data.
    Step outside posh boy

Surely that is right since only 21 miles of water separate us and we love each other so much.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
      Surely that is right since only 21 miles of water separate us and we love each other so much.
      Reminds me of my TomTom:
      While on the M3; Find nearest late night chemist = Caen
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

er...why isn't there a country list?

.............oooooh I seeeeeeeeee

Comment

The code's not bad because it was outsourced, or because the developers are cheap. It is bad because it was outsourced without first performing due diligence on the chosen outsourcing company. The same could happen using shoddy developers anywhere.

The problem is companies are too willing to offshore work after only talking to CheapCo's PM, not testing the developers. When I worked at a company wanting to use Tata/TCS, we insisted on this and found they were rubbish, and didn't use them.

There are great Indian developers at very cheap rates. Big companies just seem bad at finding them... I pick people on an individual basis with technical interviews like I would if they worked in my office.
          Last edited by d000hg; 20 January 2010, 10:07.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The problem is not the developers or the cheapness. The problem here is that the French dont speak English yet.
            Sheesh, when are these froggies going to catch up ?

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              The problem is not the developers or the cheapness. The problem here is that the French dont speak English yet.
              Sheesh, when are these froggies going to catch up ?

It's OK, I just changed every customer in Algerie to Algeria. Next stop Allemagne.
              Step outside posh boy

Comment

Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
                It's OK, I just changed every customer in Algerie to Algeria. Next stop Allemagne.
                Oi!!! fix it properly

Comment

Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
                  I am taking over an application written in India, for cheapness. ...
                  It's Karma. You do something bad - support Labour. Something bad happens to you.
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    Reminds me of my TomTom:
                    While on the M3; Find nearest late night chemist = Caen
                    Sounds about right
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X