• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The law is an ass

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The law is an ass

Linky

A businessman who was jailed for permanently injuring an intruder who attacked him and his family has been freed by the Court of Appeal.

Munir Hussain 53, was sentenced to 30 months for grievous bodily harm with intent after he hit Walid Salem with a cricket bat on 3 September 2008.

Hussain and his family were tied up at home in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire.

On his release he said he was "very happy". His jail term was reduced to 12 months suspended for two years.
    I hate this kind of crap. If someone breaks into your home at night, they should lose all rights. Self defence on your own property should be lawful.

Sometimes I HATE this country.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Linky

I hate this kind of crap. If someone breaks into your home at night, they should lose all rights. Self defence on your own property should be lawful.

Sometimes I HATE this country.
    The chaps I worked with when I was in Maine mentioned the fact there are no housebreakings as most people keep a gun in the bedroom.

Same for muggings as all of these guys had a license to carry a concealed weapon.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Wipe away the red mist from your eyes and read to the bottom of the story. After the burglar had left his home, he went round to his brothers, got tooled up, went looking for the burglar and did him in. Self defence in your own home is legal.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
        Wipe away the red mist from your eyes and read to the bottom of the story[1]. After the burglar had left his home, he went round to his brothers, got tooled up, went looking for the burglar and did him in[2].

Self defence in your own home is legal.[3]
        1) OK. I'm schtoopid.
        2) You can see why though.
        3) Is it buggery.

HTH

Comment

3) Is it buggery.
          No, speaking as someone with some expertise in the matter, that's when .......
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Is it buggery.
            yup that's legal too now!

Don't worry, you're not the first CUKer to get the wrong end of the stick:
            http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...-shambles.html

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
              No, speaking as someone with some expertise in the matter, that's when .......

Been sitting with my Grandfather all afternoon. He is old school. That's one of his stock phrases. Along with

"Well I'm buggered" meaning "Gosh I'm suprised"

He is the male answer to Catherine Tate's Grandmother character.

Comment

yup that's legal too now!

Don't worry, you're not the first CUKer to get the wrong end of the stick:
                http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...-shambles.html
                Yay I'm in good company then.

Comment

.. After the burglar had left his home, he went round to his brothers, got tooled up, went looking for the burglar and did him in. Self defence in your own home is legal.
                  Burglars often revisit the same premises they have been in before, because they know the layout better and what stuff there is to nick.

That reason alone has to be a slightly mitigating circumstance. But admittedly it's not much of a justification, and what if he had clobbered the wrong guy?
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    Burglars often revisit the same premises they have been in before, because they know the layout better and what stuff there is to nick.

That reason alone has to be a slightly mitigating circumstance. But admittedly it's not much of a justification, and what if he had clobbered the wrong guy?
                    When someone threatens you with a knife, you don't forget their face too quickly.

I think a suspended sentence is wrong too. He should be paid out a reward from the public purse for the civic improvement he's performed.
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X