• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You can't give it away!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can't give it away!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4525994.stm

Body Shop founder Anita Roddick says she plans to give away her entire £51m fortune to good causes. But there's nothing straightforward about philanthropy these days.

Montgomery Brewster, the character played by the recently deceased Richard Pryor in Brewster's Millions, hardly ranks as one of Hollywood's all-time classic comedy creations. But the dilemma in which he found himself perhaps resonates ever more these days.

Brewster, a hapless small-time baseball player, had to get rid of $30m in 30 days, in order to avail himself of a $300m inheritance. Yet so luckless is this sorry protagonist that he can't even waste money competently. It just earns him more.

By contrast, Anita Roddick, one of the UK's best-known entrepreneurs, could never be described as incompetent. Yet the 63-year-old tycoon faces a similarly unusual predicament in the years to come.

For Dame Anita, founder of the Body Shop, is planning to give away her entire £51m fortune.

"I don't want to die rich," she told the Daily Telegraph. "Money does not mean anything to me."

Rather than throw her cash at seemingly fruitless investments, as Monty Brewster did, she wants to give it all to worthy causes.

Time to setup a charity for IT Contractors me thinks. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by DimPrawn
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4525994.stm

Body Shop founder Anita Roddick says she plans to give away her entire £51m fortune to good causes. .....

Rather than throw her cash at seemingly fruitless investments, as Monty Brewster did, she wants to give it all to worthy causes.

Time to setup a charity for IT Contractors me thinks. Any suggestions?
    What, for them to give to? You'll be lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Anita Roddick
      "Money does not mean anything to me."
      Well it wouldn't, would it.

Silly cow.

Comment

Dear Mr D. Prawn

Request For Urgent Business Relationship

First, I Must Solicit Your Strictest Confidence In This Transaction.

We Are Top Official Of The Body Shop Who Are Interested In Distributing Funds On Behalf Of Anita Roddick. In Order To Commence This Business We Solicit Your Assistance To Enable Us Transfer Into Your Account The Said Funds.

By Virtue Of Our Position We Cannot Distribute This Money In Our Names. I Have Therefore, Been Delegated As A Matter Of Trust By My Colleagues To Look For A Partner Into Whose Account We Would Transfer The Sum Of Gbp51,320,000.00 (fifty One Million, Three Hundred And Twenty Thousand Gb Pounds). Hence We Are Writing You This Letter. We Have Agreed To Share The Money Thus; 1. 20% For The Account Owner 2. 70% For Us (the Officials) 3. 10% To Be Used In Settling Taxation And All Local And Foreign Expenses.

Please,note That This Transaction Is 100% Safe And We Hope To Commence The Transfer Latest Seven (7) Banking Days From The Date Of The Receipt Of The Following Informatiom By Tel/fax; 234-1-7740449, Your Company's Signed, And Stamped Letterhead Paper The Above Information Will Enable Us Write Letters Of Claim And Job Description Respectively. This Way We Will Use Your Company's Name To Apply For Payment And Re-award The Contract In Your Company's Name.

We Are Looking Forward To Doing This Business With You And Solicit Your Confidentiality In This Transation. Please Acknowledge The Receipt Of This Letter Using The Above Tel/fax Numbers. I Will Send You Detailed Information Of This Pending Project When I Have Heard From You.

Yours Faithfully,

Dr Clement Okon

Comment

The government will be wanting some of that loving!

Mailman

Comment

Working...
          X