• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mortgages on the way up?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mortgages on the way up?

Skipton triggers "exceptional circumstances" clause

Under its mortgage terms, Skipton guaranteed its standard variable rate (SVR) – the floating rate to which all deals revert – would never be more than three percentage points above the Bank of England base rate, currently 0.5pc. The society has decided it can no longer honour the guarantee and will be increasing its SVR from 3.5pc to 4.95pc.
    The clause only applies to contracts taken out since 2002 apparently.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Another good reason for IT contractors to pay down debt and clear your mortgages ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Another good reason for IT contractors to pay down debt and clear your mortgages ASAP.

why?

Comment

3 months in to a 5 year fixed @ 5%, I was worried I made the wrong decision but feeling a lot better about it in the last week. I do expect rates to rise quite a bit next year.

Should have the place paid off by the end of the 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          I've been doing that for the past 7 years. I'm nearly there, just in time for rates to rise when I increase my saving instead.

Or have I misunderstood personal finance?

Comment

Nowt too worried, on a lifetime tracker at 0.49% over the base rate.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
              Me too ;O) or rather my BTL is... is that the Abbey one?

I do keep expecting a letter to fall through the door saying they're going to screw me but nothing yet.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                Me too ;O) or rather my BTL is... is that the Abbey one?

I do keep expecting a letter to fall through the door saying they're going to screw me but nothing yet.
                I got mine through cooperative bank who I had a business account with at the time. Funnily enough they don't do it any more
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                  You will be alright then when the BOE Base Rate is 10%
                  Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post
                    You will be alright then when the BOE Base Rate is 10%
                    Doesn't bother me, I took on a mortgage that I could easily still afford even in the event of the base rate doing summat silly.

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X