• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recommendations for Froggie DVDs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations for Froggie DVDs

I'm after a couple of suitable DVDs to buy an aged relative for her birthday. She likes rustic evocative French films, along the lines of Manons des Sources, and I wonder if any film buffs or anyone working in France and familiar with French films could recommend any in that genre.

Apparently some excellent French films have been released in the last few years, although in the circs I'd obviously have to exclude any that involve excessive violence, sex, or the French equivalent of effing and blinding. Also, I don't think she will be very interested in old black and white films.

Any suggestions welcome
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Amélie is one my favourites..
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

L'apartement
      Tango
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Apparently some excellent French films have been released in the last few years, although in the circs I'd obviously have to exclude any that involve excessive violence, sex, or the French equivalent of effing and blinding.
        So you'll want to avoid Irreversible and Baise Moi.

I'd recommend Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis, a funny comedy about the cultural differences between north and south.

Comment

Actually amazon recommends a few as well

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gloire-Mon-P...=pd_sim_d_h__1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chateau-Ma-M...=pd_sim_d_h__2

Le samouraï is one of my favourite french films, although hardly "rustic"
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Amélie is one my favourites..
            A charming film.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Wallace et Grommit
              with subleties of course

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I thought this film Le Placard was excellent! Very funny

Comment

Originally posted by Scary View Post
                  So you'll want to avoid Irreversible and Baise Moi.
                  You certainly will.

Everybody loves Amélie. If she likes Piaf, La Môme is well made. And Les Visiteurs is really funny.

Two other Pagnol novels, La Gloire de Mon Père and Le Château de Ma Mere, have also been made into films.
                  Last edited by Tarquin Farquhar; 21 January 2010, 12:19.
                  Step outside posh boy

Comment

French Films

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Frenc.../dp/B0002CTQYW

Le Diner des cons(The dinner for idiots)

Quite funny but I was remonstrated by one of my French friends who maintained that its use of stereotypes and making capital out of serious French social problems was condescending and offensive.

I enjoyed it, its not rude, no gratuitous violence or foul language.
                    There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Working...
                    X