• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear - The 'hidden' jobless

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear - The 'hidden' jobless

linky

Fall in official unemployment rate masks rise in the 'hidden jobless'
    Figures show 8 million 'economically inactive' people as job market shrinks

Fresh hopes that the worst is over for Britain's battered economy were raised yesterday after forecasters were confounded by the first fall in unemployment for 18 months.

But the figures showed that the country still has a growing army of eight million "economically inactive" people, with the size of the labour market declining to 28.92 million. The rate of employment is now at its lowest level since the winter of 1996-97.

Official figures showed that the headline jobless rate for the three months to November fell 7,000 to 2.46 million, the first fall since the quarter ending May 2008.
    So that's over 10 million 'out of the loop'?

... increasing numbers of people are being forced into part-time work – a record high of 7.71 million, up 99,000. Just over a million employees and self-employed people were working part-time because they were unable to find full-time jobs, another record figure.
    Now what was that bit about Working Tax Credits?
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

is this like the unknown unknowns?
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I do get the feeling that the 7,000 fall figure has somehow been massaged as it is quite close to zero change, I'd imagine they didn't really care what the figure was as long as it was positive news.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

So that's 12.5m on state pension, 8m unknown unknowns, a total of 6m on unemployment/jobseekers/incapacity benefit, 6m employed by the state any others?

I saw that 22m pay income tax and 25m claim benefits and that since June last year income tax doesn't cover even the benefits bill - and its got worse since then.
        Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
        "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by Emigre View Post
          So that's 12.5m on state pension, 8m unknown unknowns, a total of 6m on unemployment/jobseekers/incapacity benefit, 6m employed by the state any others?

I saw that 22m pay income tax and 25m claim benefits and that since June last year income tax doesn't cover even the benefits bill - and its got worse since then.
          How long can this state of affairs last?

How long before investors realise buying UK government debt is madness?

How long before the collapse of sterling?

Not long.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            How long can this state of affairs last?

How long before investors realise buying UK government debt is madness?

How long before the collapse of sterling?

Not long.
            Well you say that, yet the pound seems to be appreciating in value, if anything. You would have thought the shrewd currency speculators would have already pushed the pound down to nothing?
            I reckon there's a big oil-field about to be discovered under Wiltshire...
            Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Emigre View Post

Linky?

Comment

Hey, I'm economically inactive! I thought Iwas retired.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  Linky?
                  Sminki
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
                    Well you say that, yet the pound seems to be appreciating in value, if anything. You would have thought the shrewd currency speculators would have already pushed the pound down to nothing?
                    I reckon there's a big oil-field about to be discovered under Wiltshire...
                    That's because unemployment is falling and the UK is best placed in the world for the recovery, blah.

When the truth sinks in, it's sterling.

Comment

Working...
                    X