• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Notice period during a contract...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice period during a contract...

Hi,

I am in the middle of a 10 month contract and have a better offer elsewhere. Legally, what is the notice period when resigning from a contract. I hear about the golden rule of 15 working days.. Is this true. It does not mention any cancellation period in my current contract. I look forward to your views.

M

Originally posted by upthegunners84 View Post
    what is the notice period when resigning from a contract.
    Whatever the contract says.

I hear about the golden rule of 15 working days.
    Never heard of it.

It does not mention any cancellation period in my current contract.
    Really? Absolutely nothing at all about notice periods?

Is the wording such that implies you will be there until the end (i.e. you cannot give notice)?
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
      Whatever the contract says.

Never heard of it.

Really? Absolutely nothing at all about notice periods?

Is the wording such that implies you will be there until the end (i.e. you cannot give notice)?
      What he said.

I've never heard of this "golden rule" either in 19 years of contracting.

If there's no mention of a notice period in the contract then literally speaking you can't give notice as you've comitted your business to deliver for the full term of the contract.

Comment

Every forum seems to have someone who kindly reminds new recruits to use the search facility. Has CUK not go one? Not saying it's an official job, volunteer work

OP if your contract has no notice period then don't have that avenue open to you. Simples, no ifs no buts.
        If you want to end the contract then talk to client and agent and see what they say.
        You may also have the right to substitution and depending on the rate it may be worth investigating that avenue.

There I've been nice ... i feel sick

Comment

I bet they would find a notice period if they wanted to get rid of you, tell them your leaving offer a weeks notice, see what they say

Comment

Hi,

I am in the middle of a 10 month contract and have a better offer elsewhere. Legally, what is the notice period when resigning from a contract. I hear about the golden rule of 15 working days.. Is this true. It does not mention any cancellation period in my current contract. I look forward to your views.

M
            Yeah and are you going to leave this 'better offer' in say 3 months if another 'better offer' comes along?

Its your type who generally give the industry a bad name. But you dont give a **** about that do you so long as you jump ship for your better offer!
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Speak to agent like Olly said.
              Then speak to a lawyer if you're stuck. I'll be damned if I take another contractors word as final. The law is a complicated beast and after speaking to a proper lawyer you sometimes find that a contract can turn out to be toilet paper. And then again it may not be.
              Last edited by CheeseSlice; 11 February 2010, 00:21.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                Speak to agent like Olly said.
                Then speak to a lawyer if you're stuck. I'll be damned if I take another contractors word as final. The law is a complicated beast and after speaking to a proper lawyer you sometimes find that a contract can turn out to be toilet paper. And then again it may not be.
                The only toilet paper is between your ears. If the terms aren't in the contract they don't exist. It's not an employee relationship, you have no invisible rights like an employee does, there's no employment regulation hiding in the creases to bail you out. The OP shouldn't even be considering the question in thenfirst place, but since he is his only option is to negotiate a settlement.

Then again, the last time a contractor did that to me, he left the building five minutes later, with two week's worth of unsigned timesheets. So perhaps I'm a little biased...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Hi,

M
                  If you employed a builder to build an extension on your house - would you expect him to up and leave after doing half the job 'because he had a better offer'? Would you be rather p*$$ed at him, or consider suing him? Would you recommend him to your friends and contacts?

Your contract has far more in common with a builder/tradesman contract than with contract of employment - you are there to do a specific task and walking out half way is very bad form unless there are serious out-of-your-control circumstances.

I guess only you can decide if you're strong enough to cope with tarnished reputation from the clients you left in the lurch, and if you can afford the compensation/court costs/stress if your client does indeed sue for breach of contract.
                  Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
                    Every forum seems to have someone who kindly reminds new recruits to use the search facility. Has CUK not go one? Not saying it's an official job, volunteer work
                    Thats my job an well you know it!! I even got a pat on the back in a PM from admin. People think that the fact it was a foot lower than my back is slightly different but I don't know what they mean.

I am guessing at the OP's complete lack of ignorance to his contract and the work he does all this feedback won't make an sense to him whatsoever and we have to brace ourselves for another question along the same lines just to show his lack of understanding.

How people can contract and know so little is a disgrace and makes us all look like idiots even before he has jumped ship..

One thing to note he has been in 10 months! He mentions no end date. I am thinking Permie Contract not Freelance Contract here......
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X