• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dilemma

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dilemma

Need to hear some suggestions from the learned congregation please. Am currently in a permie job ( boo, hiss etc) that I am sick of. The company is not doing particularly well and I can see myself possibly being made redundant sometime in the next 12 months. Permie job is a 110k package with 90k basic.

I have the offer of a 6 month contract at a good rate with a notoriously difficult customer.

The question is do I quit now before getting pushed at some stage or do I attempt to cling on for as long as possible and then hope to find a contract role at the time I am pushed?

Hang on in there. Take the free holidays and the redundancy at the end. Then go back contracting.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Toolpusher
      Are you expecting a severance package from your permie job?
      If I get pushed, about a months worth so nothing to get too excited about. If I resign, no.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
        Hang on in there. Take the free holidays and the redundancy at the end. Then go back contracting.
        It's making me miserable

Comment

Originally posted by fckvwls View Post
          It's making me miserable
          Will the contract make you any more happy (save for the cash which can help a bit)?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
            Will the contract make you any more happy (save for the cash which can help a bit)?
            I contracted for 6 years before this permie role. I think it would.

Comment

It's making me miserable
              I'm sure a friendly doctor could read that as stress and sign you off for a few months.
              Actually, just don't sleep for 2 nights then go and see the doctor. Should give you the right symptoms
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Need to hear some suggestions from the learned congregation please. Am currently in a permie job ( boo, hiss etc) that I am sick of. The company is not doing particularly well and I can see myself possibly being made redundant sometime in the next 12 months. Permie job is a 110k package with 90k basic.

I have the offer of a 6 month contract at a good rate with a notoriously difficult customer.

The question is do I quit now before getting pushed at some stage or do I attempt to cling on for as long as possible and then hope to find a contract role at the time I am pushed?
                Toss a coin for it. Best of 31. After you have reached about 20 attempts it will have dawned upon you which option you want to win out. The rest is easy.

HTH
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Toolpusher
                  I'm thinking that you've already decided what you want to do. Just do it, and forget about what anyone else thinks......
                  I am still 60/40

Comment

Its a good paying permie job, but if you are sick of it and their prospects are not good then you are not likely to be happy by staying.

if you have a contract offer will they wait for your notice period? even if the customer is notoriously difficult does that really matter or are you the type that can't sleep at night over these things?

If you got one contract offer then you can still try to get others - ok you will lose this one but it buys you a bit of time.

One month's redundancy will not make much difference - consider where you will be happy.

Good luck!
                    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Working...
                    X