PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma

fckvwls
21st January 2010, 17:53
Need to hear some suggestions from the learned congregation please. Am currently in a permie job ( boo, hiss etc) that I am sick of. The company is not doing particularly well and I can see myself possibly being made redundant sometime in the next 12 months. Permie job is a 110k package with 90k basic.

I have the offer of a 6 month contract at a good rate with a notoriously difficult customer.

The question is do I quit now before getting pushed at some stage or do I attempt to cling on for as long as possible and then hope to find a contract role at the time I am pushed?

threaded
21st January 2010, 17:55
Hang on in there. Take the free holidays and the redundancy at the end. Then go back contracting.

fckvwls
21st January 2010, 17:57
Are you expecting a severance package from your permie job?

If I get pushed, about a months worth so nothing to get too excited about. If I resign, no.

fckvwls
21st January 2010, 17:58
Hang on in there. Take the free holidays and the redundancy at the end. Then go back contracting.

It's making me miserable

The_Equalizer
21st January 2010, 17:59
It's making me miserable

Will the contract make you any more happy (save for the cash which can help a bit)?

fckvwls
21st January 2010, 18:01
Will the contract make you any more happy (save for the cash which can help a bit)?

I contracted for 6 years before this permie role. I think it would.

Spacecadet
21st January 2010, 18:01
It's making me miserable

I'm sure a friendly doctor could read that as stress and sign you off for a few months.
Actually, just don't sleep for 2 nights then go and see the doctor. Should give you the right symptoms

shaunbhoy
21st January 2010, 18:07
Need to hear some suggestions from the learned congregation please. Am currently in a permie job ( boo, hiss etc) that I am sick of. The company is not doing particularly well and I can see myself possibly being made redundant sometime in the next 12 months. Permie job is a 110k package with 90k basic.

I have the offer of a 6 month contract at a good rate with a notoriously difficult customer.

The question is do I quit now before getting pushed at some stage or do I attempt to cling on for as long as possible and then hope to find a contract role at the time I am pushed?

Toss a coin for it. Best of 31. After you have reached about 20 attempts it will have dawned upon you which option you want to win out. The rest is easy.

HTH

fckvwls
21st January 2010, 18:14
I'm thinking that you've already decided what you want to do. Just do it, and forget about what anyone else thinks......

I am still 60/40

MPwannadecentincome
21st January 2010, 18:19
Its a good paying permie job, but if you are sick of it and their prospects are not good then you are not likely to be happy by staying.

if you have a contract offer will they wait for your notice period? even if the customer is notoriously difficult does that really matter or are you the type that can't sleep at night over these things?

If you got one contract offer then you can still try to get others - ok you will lose this one but it buys you a bit of time.

One month's redundancy will not make much difference - consider where you will be happy.

Good luck!

fckvwls
21st January 2010, 18:36
What does your gut tell you? If it's anything like mine, it's usually right!

Gut says take the contract and it is what I am leaning 60% towards

fckvwls
21st January 2010, 18:37
Its a good paying permie job, but if you are sick of it and their prospects are not good then you are not likely to be happy by staying.

if you have a contract offer will they wait for your notice period? even if the customer is notoriously difficult does that really matter or are you the type that can't sleep at night over these things?

If you got one contract offer then you can still try to get others - ok you will lose this one but it buys you a bit of time.

One month's redundancy will not make much difference - consider where you will be happy.

Good luck!

Yes, they will wait notice period.

Good advice, cheers.

Zippy
21st January 2010, 18:40
Go for the contract.

MPwannadecentincome
21st January 2010, 22:52
Gut says take the contract and it is what I am leaning 60% towards

will running a CUK poll help?

EternalOptimist
21st January 2010, 23:14
the key, I think, is the miserableness. just how much misery can you cope with ? are you a sensitive soul ?

if you have a track record of getting totally miserable with a job, then recovering quickly and thinking 'what was all the fuss about' - stick with the permie job

If you have a track record of saying 'that was the worst year of my life' - jump ship now

:rolleyes:

NickFitz
22nd January 2010, 04:42
Toss a coin for it.

Indeed:

Whenever you're called on to make up your mind,
and you're hampered by not having any,

the best way to solve the dilemma, you'll find,
is simply by spinning a penny.

No -- not so that chance shall decide the affair
while you're passively standing there moping;

but the moment the penny is up in the air,
you suddenly know what you're hoping.

- Piet Hein, A Psychological Tip (http://www.chat.carleton.ca/~tcstewar/grooks/grooks.html#037)

:)

Andy2
22nd January 2010, 09:50
Thats easy. Go on the medical leave for stress and take the contract
win-win

Drewster
22nd January 2010, 09:50
will running a CUK poll help?

:yay: :yay: :yay:
Let AndyW take the contract.....