• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cash4Gold

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cash4Gold

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8472867.stm

Research for the consumer group showed that the gold companies that advertise on television offer an average of just 6% of the gold's retail value.
    To be fair though, if you fall for the cowboy TV adverts these gold by post companies use then you probably deserve to be parted from your cash
    Coffee's for closers

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post

To be fair though, if you fall for the cowboy TV adverts these gold by post companies use then you probably deserve to be parted from your cash
    Or if you own a hundredweight of gold jewlery in the first place?

Comment

Never bothered because it was obvious that they're scams.

Where do you go to sell your bits and pieces of broken gold jewellery though?
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post

I'm not in the tiniest bit surprised.

There seem to be as many of these gold buying companies popping up as the last big advertising scam the ambulance chasing personal injury "legal" firms.
        Their adverts are as silly as believing that DFS aren't holding a sale this week.

Anyone who actually believes TV advertising should be prevented from breeding as they're proven to have an IQ smaller than their hat size so shouldn't further pollute the gene pool.

Comment

They are shysters for sure but to be fair the retail value of a 9ct chain or whatever would be way above the scrap price of the gold it contains and that is all they are interested in.

A fair way would be to require them to quote the percentage of the spot gold price they offer up front in their sales literature so that customers could compare dealers, rather like an APR is quoted for consumer credit.
          Numbly tolerating the inequality as a way to achieve greater prosperity for all.

Comment

Originally posted by George Parr View Post
            rather like an APR is quoted for consumer credit.
            Yes, that work wonders - gotto love those TV ads with APR for loan in 4 digits

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Yes, that work wonders - gotto love those TV ads with APR for loan in 4 digits
              Unfortunately the desperate are their lawful prey.
              Last edited by George Parr; 21 January 2010, 22:42.
              Numbly tolerating the inequality as a way to achieve greater prosperity for all.

Comment

I've seen them sitting in the shopping centers too - never seen anyone use them.
                This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Good thing they did not launch some years ago before Brown sold off BoE gold reserves...

Comment

I've been trying to remove my granny's fillings but she's no having it...
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X