• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lamp

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lamp

LAMP dev, loads of experience.

I enjoy the work and if I can do it for two years while I build up a plan B, I will. However I have a sneaky suspicion there are not that many jobs out there and so I want to make myself more employable, plus if possible improve my earning potential.

There are quite a few permie jobs that would let me gain 'architect' experience, is it better to do this for a while and go back into contracting ?

Or try and pick up qualifications (Zend, MySQL) or try and really get into stuff like SEO, usability, design

Or just forget it, stick with what I know, and do as much networking (in the personal sense) that I can to try and stay employed as much as possible?

Apologies if you thought this was a 'what lamp to buy' thread..

As well as writing LAMP on you CV write the individual units too, i.e. Linux, Apache, MySQL and Perl.

There is lots of call for all those things.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I love lamp
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
        As well as writing LAMP on you CV write the individual units too, i.e. Linux, Apache, MySQL and Perl.

Also helps with agency search terms.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Do you think there might be a chance that some agents might not know that the acronym refers to those individual components?
          Step outside posh boy

Comment

Is it not Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP?

I could be wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
              Do you think there might be a chance that some agents might not know that the acronym refers to those individual components?
              Only if 'some' is a number approaching zero.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

It's a bit dark in the gent's loo here, would you care to take a look at the lighting?
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
                  I love lamp
                  WHS

Where did you get those clothes, the toilet store?
                  ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    Is it not Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP?

I could be wrong...
                    Yes, is more usual for the P to represent PHP.

To the OP. Zend is a good idea. Also try getting into some of the other frameworks, Symfony, Cake etc. These go down well on CVs and a few good contracts about for them. Other good ones to get under the belt (and on the CV) are JQuery and MooTools to cover the JavaScript frameworks. On top of this you could also take a peek at Drupal, fair bit of demand and not many players from what I can see. Happy learning!

Comment

Working...
                    X