• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ideas on where to put the cash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas on where to put the cash

£54k in company bank account earning didley squat interest. £9k corporation tax due in June. In contract until end of March. What steps do you recommend to get maximum interest on the warchest? I don't think I'll need immediate access but I've got to get it out of the existing account.

Minimal risk -
    Stick it on 3 month deposit.

Maximum risk -
    Stick it all on black (or your preferred ETF).
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Put some in the attic, some under yor mattress and the rest under the stairs (for a rainy day) thats what I've done anyway....

Sorry...........
      Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

Buy shares in SKA.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Oh, and convert a third of it to EUR. You never know when the pound will collapse in a tulipty heap.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

rates are so poor, it's hardly worth the effort. Just concentrate on billing every day you can. any day dropped through sick/hols easily wipes out any gains on interest.

Comment

You'll get 0.5% interest on your 9K if you pay early.
              Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                Oh, and convert a third of it to EUR. You never know when the pound will collapse in a tulipty heap.
                But not yet... It could get a bit higher.

I'm going to do that next week..
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by singhr View Post
                  rates are so poor, it's hardly worth the effort. Just concentrate on billing every day you can. any day dropped through sick/hols easily wipes out any gains on interest.
                  WHS.

Even if you found a business bank account that paid 1.0% interest (and I don't think there is one unless you have over £1M to deposit), the annual interest on that amount after tax will be less than one day's pay.

Just be grateful your business bank isn't charging you to run your account.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                    You'll get 0.5% interest on your 9K if you pay early.
                    What if you overpaid then (gave them all the £54K) and then got the interest on that and then claimed back the difference later as an overpayment?

Comment

Working...
                    X