• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public School

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public School

For the benefit of those who did not go to public school; I did, I didn’t really like it, but I’d like to try and destroy a few myths.

1 The old school tie will get you privilege and power and money and endear you to the upper classes
    - no it won’t. Although you might have some worthwhile contacts left over from school days, if you’re an indolent, incapable halfwit then people will not employ you. That’s because the upper classes own businesses and want their businesses to be profitable. Businesses that choose nice-but-dim idiots over capable people with a state school background will go bust and leave their owners penniless. If you didn't go to public school and you want good business contacts then join an industry society and attend the events.

2 People at public school say ‘what, what’ and ‘old bean’ and like shooting fuzzy-wuzzies
    - they don’t. In fact, if you were to talk like someone with a hot potato in his throat at public school, you’d probably have your head smashed up against a central heating pipe. If you’re a racist you’ll find very quickly that you have no friends.

3 People who went to public school know nothing about the real world and don’t care about the lot of the ‘average person’
    - public schools are as real as any other schools. The kids who attend them are quite normal once you look beyond the accent. They enjoy partying, drinking and exploring their sexuality, as most adolescents do. As for caring about other people, you’ll find public school kids and their parents are much like anybody else; some care about others, some don’t and some are complete potnoodlers.

4 Public schools are full of upper class people who are a bunch of rarified wierdos, sexual deviants and fascists
    - yes, there are members of the ‘aristocracy’ at public schools. Most of them are very normal, down to earth people and you would not recognize them as ‘toffs’ if you didn’t know. Some of them use certain patterns of language or behaviour or clothing to show each other their ‘social status’, but many don’t and don’t care. I have seen no more evidence of sexual deviance among them than among anybody else, and no more tendency to the extreme right than among others. In fact, a lot of them are a more than a bit left winged.

Any other myths you’d like me to dismantle?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

AGW.

Cheers.

Comment

For the benefit of those who did not go to public school; I did, I didn’t really like it, but I’d like to try and destroy a few myths.

1 The old school tie will get you privilege and power and money and endear you to the upper classes
      - no it won’t. Although you might have some worthwhile contacts left over from school days, if you’re an indolent, incapable halfwit then people will not employ you. That’s because the upper classes own businesses and want their businesses to be profitable. Businesses that choose nice-but-dim idiots over capable people with a state school background will go bust and leave their owners penniless. If you didn't go to public school and you want good business contacts then join an industry society and attend the events.

2 People at public school say ‘what, what’ and ‘old bean’ and like shooting fuzzy-wuzzies
      - they don’t. In fact, if you were to talk like someone with a hot potato in his throat at public school, you’d probably have your head smashed up against a central heating pipe. If you’re a racist you’ll find very quickly that you have no friends.

3 People who went to public school know nothing about the real world and don’t care about the lot of the ‘average person’
      - public schools are as real as any other schools. The kids who attend them are quite normal once you look beyond the accent. They enjoy partying, drinking and exploring their sexuality, as most adolescents do. As for caring about other people, you’ll find public school kids and their parents are much like anybody else; some care about others, some don’t and some are complete potnoodlers.

4 Public schools are full of upper class people who are a bunch of rarified wierdos, sexual deviants and fascists
      - yes, there are members of the ‘aristocracy’ at public schools. Most of them are very normal, down to earth people and you would not recognize them as ‘toffs’ if you didn’t know. Some of them use certain patterns of language or behaviour or clothing to show each other their ‘social status’, but many don’t and don’t care. I have seen no more evidence of sexual deviance among them than among anybody else, and no more tendency to the extreme right than among others. In fact, a lot of them are a more than a bit left winged.

Who said we needed you to dismantle it in the first place? This is not the CBeebies forum.
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        AGW.

Cheers.
        AGW is a conspiracy of working class people who can’t afford decent cars to tax ordinary hard working classic Bentley owners into submission.

Comment

All agents are scum
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

You forgot to tell us all about The Buscuit Game.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              All agents are scum
              Actually I know one who’s quite a nice chap. He even reflected the downward pressure on rates by trading down to a 5 series.

Comment

Actually I know one who’s quite a nice chap. He even reflected the downward pressure on rates by trading down to a 5 series.
                From a passat?
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
                  You forgot to tell us all about The Buscuit Game.
                  The soggy biscuit. I don’t really know if it ever happened for real. I know that the threat was used by prefects as a means of frightening younger boys, and it did indeed scare us. I did however notice that one boy seemed to get off quite lightly when prefects dealt out early morning punishment runs; in fact I never saw him out running at 6 in the morning. He is now working ‘in the fashion industry’.

Comment

Mich, one is beginning to think you feel you have to apologise for going to public school.
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X