• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DIY 'bomb detector'!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY 'bomb detector'!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ht/8471187.stm

Saw a report about this on the news. It looks like one of those detectors you use at home to find pipes and cables in the wall but has a collapsable car aerial stuck on it!

Iraqi Government has paid millions of quid for this to some shark in England. Absolutely disgusting that someone is flogging this 'detector' to some poor sap to use. Inventor reckons it can detect explosives up to a kilometer away.

No wonder he didnt want his face disclosed in the interview!

"Iraq has bought thousands of the detectors for a total of $85m (£52m).

The device is sold by Jim McCormick, based at offices in rural Somerset, UK.

The ADE-651 is in use at most checkpoints in Baghdad
    The ADE-651 detector has never been shown to work in a scientific test.

There are no batteries and it consists of a swivelling aerial mounted to a hinge on a hand-grip. Critics have likened it to a glorified dowsing rod.

Mr McCormick told the BBC in a previous interview that "the theory behind dowsing and the theory behind how we actually detect explosives is very similar."
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

The training manual for the device says it can even, with the right card, detect elephants, humans and 100 dollar bills.

"You got any elephants in the car?"

"No, no... no elephants."

"Boys, bring out the elephant detector!"

"Oh alright, it's a fair cop - check the trunk."

Comment

To be fair, the biggest benefit of a bomb detector is as a deterent, not that it actually detects bombs.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        To be fair, the biggest benefit of a bomb detector is as a deterent, not that it actually detects bombs.
        Not in Iraq it isn't. This has been known and reported for a while now and should have been stopped long ago.

Comment

Why are we wasting our time trying to make functional plan Bs? This way seems much easier.

Maybe MyCo can create a software interface for those devices to interact to. The software will have a simple Windows interface with buttons "test for bomb" and will connect to the device by USB.
          Of course, I'll have to figure out how to get the detector to interface with USB as well. I figure an elastic band to tie it on should do nicely.

Anyone want to partner on this?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Why are we wasting our time trying to make functional plan Bs? This way seems much easier.

Maybe MyCo can create a software interface for those devices to interact to. The software will have a simple Windows interface with buttons "test for bomb" and will connect to the device by USB.
            Of course, I'll have to figure out how to get the detector to interface with USB as well. I figure an elastic band to tie it on should do nicely.

Anyone want to partner on this?
            Maybe but perhaps we're not complete shysters like the guy who's peddling this 'thing' as a bomb detector come elephant finder!
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Beats me how can anyone in charge of buying the devices can be quite so dim. Probably in on it.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                Maybe but perhaps we're not complete shysters like the guy who's peddling this 'thing' as a bomb detector come elephant finder!
                But once we control it with software, you can figure what it's searching for without even changing the card! My software will come with internet connectivity, using a special algorithm which doesn't need a WiFi or a modem to 'connect'.

For $5000 extra, you can buy a Labour Member detector.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  Beats me how can anyone in charge of buying the devices can be quite so dim. Probably in on it.
                  Iraqi defence procurement have probably been trained by the British.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                  X