• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone been out to Saudi?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone been out to Saudi?

Got a week's work coming up in Saudi Arabia.

Is it worth sticking around doing a few tourist days or is it a quick in and out?

Depends where you are @. But generally no. Saudi's are the worst guys to deal with in the middle east.

Comment

*Gulp*

What do you mean worst?

Not sure where it will be yet apparently somewhere in the north.

I hear the clubbing scene isn't very good there.

Comment

Is it Saudi where they jail you if minute particles of cannabis are found on the soles of your shoes?
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Off the top of my head:

The main problem I've seen from most UK people is having a very sloppy attitude in personal appearance, dress and not having even a basic clue about the culture.

They're really hot on unspoken cues, such as body language and the like. Especially silences: I've noticed some people feel the need to talk when inappropriate, often the person who speaks the least has the most authority... Also the 'personal space comfort zone' is much smaller, so they'll appear to be right in your face and it can be quite disconcerting at first.

If someone is an engineer, refer to them as "Engineer" etc..

Don't say things like 'You have a nice car. Can I have a ride in it?'

Multi-way meetings are not uncommon, i.e. everyone in the same room and there are several simultaneous meetings.

It's a nice place, and really nice people.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Ok, so I'm giving a training for a week out there.

Usually I go for nerd-casual - black action slacks, black shoes, polo shirt.

Should I go for the full suit and tie to dress respectfully?

Do you recommend any kind of tourist sight seeing,local dishes, etc?

Will everyone hate me because I am a westerner?

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
              Ok, so I'm giving a training for a week out there.

Usually I go for nerd-casual - black action slacks, black shoes, polo shirt.

Should I go for the full suit and tie to dress respectfully?

Do you recommend any kind of tourist sight seeing,local dishes, etc?

Will everyone hate me because I am a westerner?
              Yes, suit, tie, brush your shoes, and try and look smart.

Sight-seeing: Well I'm a petrol head, so blasting about the desert on anything with an enormous engine is great for me.

You'll no doubt meet lots of westerners.

Food: I'd say just try everything, lots of finger food mostly stuff you'll be used to roast chicken etc., but do not use your left hand, remember: left hand, no. Someone sitting to the left of you asks you to pass them something? Use your right hand and twist awkwardly...
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                Yes, suit, tie, brush your shoes, and try and look smart.

Sight-seeing: Well I'm a petrol head, so blasting about the desert on anything with an enormous engine is great for me.

You'll no doubt meet lots of westerners.

Food: I'd say just try everything, lots of finger food mostly stuff you'll be used to roast chicken etc., but do not use your left hand, remember: left hand, no. Someone sitting to the left of you asks you to pass them something? Use your right hand and twist awkwardly...

DIfferent cultures or different types of madness ? Oh come on, not using the left hand -jeeeez.

Don't tell me, the left hand is used for winking so would be disrespectful to use the same hand to eat or pass things to others with?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
                  DIfferent cultures or different types of madness ? Oh come on, not using the left hand -jeeeez.

Don't tell me, the left hand is used for winking so would be disrespectful to use the same hand to eat or pass things to others with?
                  They use it for wiping their arse. That's why it's disrespectful, seriously.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

don't use left hand. even if you are a scout.

Nope left hand is for wiping. The toilets are squat ones with shower heads if you are lucky the civilisation is very old and they didn't have leaves around to cause them to invent toilet paper. Thats why you always use the right hand.

Threaded is right they do have a lot of unspoken rules. Just think you are at grannies and be on your best behaviour. No off colour jokes, if they give you accept, but unless its necessary don't ask for things. They value good appearance and if they think you did good work then you will be treated very well.

Thats according to my Brother in law who spent 3 years in middle east and one of our sales manager who lived there for decades so its 2nd hand. I only spent a week working in Dubai so I can't really comment.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X