• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh goody - no legal firearms allowed...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh goody - no legal firearms allowed...

A householder is attacked by a violent burglar every 30 minutes.

The shocking statistic exposes for the first time the epidemic of terrifying intruder confrontations taking place in Britain.

More: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...0-minutes.html

----------

48 violent burglar attacks every day, or 17520 per year.

You just back from clubbing then alexei?
    I take it you didn't PULL!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      You just back from clubbing then alexei?
      No, I am saving it up for next week.

Comment

It would probably help matters if the underlying problem behind burglary was dealt with.

I am under the impression most burglaries are carried out to fund drug addiction, and that those carried out by addicts are those where there is the greatest likelihood of the burglar coming into contact with the occupants.

(Many other burglaries are ratboy kids who know they will not be punished so they trash the place while they are at it.)

On coming out of prison there is very little support given to drug addicts and a return to thieving is often inevitable. This is a recurring story in the Big Issue, Radio 4 and the Guardian. Apparently we have a huge shortage of probation officers; ironically they are seen as a waste of money by government but as an essential support service by ex-prisoners.

If we could find some way of not having thousands of junkies needing to pay for drugs, many of the violent burglaries would cease.

I don't think arming the occupants will help: the junkies need to carry out the burglary so they will just tool up accordingly. And I have no desire to face an armed junkie in need of drugs. I'd rather some of the tax money I'm not paying spent on needs exchange schemes, methadone, probation officers and rehabilitation support services.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          the epidemic of terrifying intruder confrontations taking place in Britain.
          You've got to love the Daily Mail. Here's another view:

According to the British Crime Survey,
          * domestic burglary is down 57 per cent compared to 1995,
          * 53 per cent compared to 1997 and
          * 41 per cent compared to 1999.
          * chances of being burgled are at their lowest for 20 years - on average a house is burgled (excluding attempts) just once every 50 years.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            And I have no desire to face an armed junkie in need of drugs.
            Like a junkie would get a legal firearm under any sane system

Drugs should certainly be given to junkies under strict condition - if they cause any trouble whatsoever then they will get cold turkey instead.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
              You've got to love the Daily Mail. Here's another view:
              "chances of being burgled are at their lowest for 20 years - on average a house is burgled (excluding attempts) just once every 50 years."

So (excluding attempts) a house will get burgled at least once in your lifetime?

Comment

So (excluding attempts) a house will get burgled at least once in your lifetime?
                And, to add to the confusion, the Daily Mail says:

The figures emerged in an analysis of official crime statistics. Last year, the number of domestic burglaries recorded by police in England and Wales rose for the first time in six years, from 280,694 in 2007-08 to 284,427.
                There are 21 million dwellings in the UK, so it should be one burglary per 100 years, not 50 years.

Either way, it is way too many.

And I believe the last two governments have not tried hard enough and not been creative enough in dealing with the hard drugs problem in the UK. Instead of spending millions trying to convince me that drinking 3 bottles of home brew is binge drinking, I think a better return on that investment could be made by helping some people get back on the straight and narrow.

Comment

A householder is attacked by a violent burglar every 30 minutes.
                  You'd think he'd move

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    You'd think he'd move
                    Damn - you beat me to it
                    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Working...
                    X