• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax System Explained in Beer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax System Explained in Beer

Suppose that every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten
    comes to $100.

If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like
    this.

The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing.
    The fifth would pay $1.
    The sixth would pay $3.
    The seventh would pay $7.
    The eighth would pay $12.
    The ninth would pay $18.
    The tenth man (the richest) would pay $59.

So, that's what they decided to do.

The ten men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the
    arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them a curve.

"Since you are all such good customers," he said, "I'm going to reduce the
    cost of your daily beer by $20." Drinks for the ten now cost just $80.

The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes.

So the first four men were unaffected.

They would still drink for free. But what about the other six men? The
    paying customers?

How could they divide the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his fair
    share?'

They realized that $20 divided by six is $3.33. But if they subtracted that
    from everybody's share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would each end
    up being paid to drink his beer.

So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill
    by roughly the same amount, and he proceeded to work out the amounts each
    should pay.

And so the fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (100% savings)
    The sixth now paid $2 instead of $3 (33% savings).
    The seventh now pay $5 instead of $7 (28% savings).
    The eighth now paid $9 instead of $12 (25% savings).
    The ninth now paid $14 instead of $18 ( 22% savings).
    The tenth now paid $49 instead of $59 (16% savings).

Each of the six was better off than before. And the first four continued to
    drink for free. But once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare
    their savings..

"I only got a dollar out of the $20,"declared the sixth man.

He pointed to the tenth man," but he got $10!"

"Yeah, that's right," exclaimed the fifth man. "I only saved a Dollar, too.
    It's unfair that he got ten times more than I!"

"That's true!!" shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get $10 back when I
    got only two? The wealthy get all the breaks!"

"Wait a minute," yelled the first four men in unison.. "We didn't get
    anything at all. The system exploits the poor!"

The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.

The next night the tenth man didn't show up for drinks, so the nine sat down
    and had beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they
    discovered something important. They didn't have enough money between all of
    them for even half of the bill!

And that, boys and girls, journalists and college professors, this is how
    our tax system works.

The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax
    reduction.

Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show
    up anymore.

In fact, they might start drinking overseas where the atmosphere is somewhat
    friendlier.

For those who understand, no explanation is needed.

For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

A bit like the debate on Question Time about the tories marriage tax proposals.

I'm not convinced about the plans myself, but the Labour chap was basically saying it was taking money from single people and giving it to married people and labelling single people as "second class citizens" in the process...

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      The next night the tenth man didn't show up for drinks, so the nine sat down and had beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important. They didn't have enough money between all of them for even half of the bill!
      That's where you have your mistake - just because the rich bloke did not consume any beer (or used NHS etc) does not mean he would not need to be paying his "fair" share!

Overall it's a very bad long way of explaining the obvious.

Comment

Drinking a cool beer in a sunny tax-haven is very nice, or so I would imagine.

How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
          labelling single people as "second class citizens" in the process...
          There are lots of studies show how mum and dad being married, (even if they don't actually live together) helps the children become more rounded individuals, achieve better in life etc. as compared to single parent families where the kids are off the rails, generally poorer health, shorter life expectancies, achieve less etc. etc.. These are statistical measurements, so some individuals will buck the trends.

So in general getting single people to pay for married couples is more like getting the criminals to pay for the damage they do to society.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Suppose... ...possible
            Did you make all that up yourself, or do you want to credit someone for it?
            Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
              Did you make all that up yourself, or do you want to credit someone for it?
              Indeed. I guess the credit goes to Beer?

Comment

My maths lecturer at university always used to explain maths problems in terms of beer - he was a lovely bloke.
                I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
                  My maths lecturer at university always used to explain maths problems in terms of beer - he was an alcoholic.
                  FTFY.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                    There are lots of studies show how mum and dad being married, (even if they don't actually live together) helps the children become more rounded individuals, achieve better in life etc. as compared to single parent families where the kids are off the rails, generally poorer health, shorter life expectancies, achieve less etc. etc.. These are statistical measurements, so some individuals will buck the trends.

So in general getting single people to pay for married couples is more like getting the criminals to pay for the damage they do to society.
                    It is important not to lump all single parents together. There is a big difference between the 16 year old girls who deliberately get pregnant as a lifestyle chioce and others who find themselves raising children alone because Dad has got killed in Afghan or has done a bunk because he couldn't handle the responsibility.

Of course having two good loving parents will be better for the child but sometimes one good is better than two bad and it is not for the Government to cast judgement.
                    Numbly tolerating the inequality as a way to achieve greater prosperity for all.

Comment

Working...
                    X