• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unpaid VAT as bad debt

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unpaid VAT as bad debt

Retired from contracting nearly three years back and when I deregistered from VAT I paid the amounts on outstanding invoices.

However, one such invoice was not paid in full. I eventually got a portion back from the client's administrators but there was no mention of any part of it being VAT.

Would it be correct to treat the VAT I overpaid as a bad debt in the accounts? Ta for any opinions.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Retired from contracting nearly three years back and when I deregistered from VAT I paid the amounts on outstanding invoices.

However, one such invoice was not paid in full. I eventually got a portion back from the client's administrators but there was no mention of any part of it being VAT.

Would it be correct to treat the VAT I overpaid as a bad debt in the accounts? Ta for any opinions.

You paid VAT on the outstanding sales invoice; did you ever recover the VAT when you treated this as a bad debt OR is the outstanding sales invoice sitting in the sales ledger? (Never been treated as a bad debt).

If you never recovered VAT via bad debt relief, then I would ignore the VAT element, as you have already paid the VAT and treat the recovered amounts as

a) bad debt recovered (P&L) or
    b) Sales ledger (balance sheet).

Robot

Comment

Xog,

By implication you must have been using accruals accounting for vat not cash accounting? Also is the entity which has the benefit of the debt still trading?

Check out form VAT427 and guidance. It might fit you circumstances.

Oh, linky. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/managing/...el-reclaim.htm

Comment

Cheers for comments. VAT rereg requires one to pay for VAT on outstanding invoices. I later wrote off the VAT exclusive part in accounts as it seemed I would get little or nothing at the time and the bit I did eventually get will go back in as recovered bad debt. No allowance was made for the VAT.

I didn't realise I might be able to get some back from VAT lot, from all the guff when I deregistered I had the impression it was final. I probably can't treat something as a bad debt unless I make some effort to recover it.
        Last edited by xoggoth; 24 January 2010, 20:41.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
        X