• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speed awareness course

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speed awareness course

I paid my dues on Friday morning and attended the speed awareness course. It was a lot better than I had thought and I learned a lot of useful stuff, like how to identify the speed in leui of speed signs.

There was a fair bit of billocks as well, 25% of the time was how to be an eco friendly driver. Slow down to save on GW.
    25% Of the time on corporate responsibility even though we only had 1 professional driver there

hey ho

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

What were the biscuits like?
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      I paid my dues on Friday morning and attended the speed awareness course. It was a lot better than I had thought and I learned a lot of useful stuff, like how to identify the speed in leui of speed signs.

There was a fair bit of billocks as well, 25% of the time was how to be an eco friendly driver. Slow down to save on GW.
      25% Of the time on corporate responsibility even though we only had 1 professional driver there

hey ho

What was your pledge?

Mine was "I endeavour not to get caught speeding again!"

Comment

Any amusing anecdotes from you or your fellow students? Best excuse for speeding?
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I did mine a couple of weeks back. Also much better than I'd feared, and learned some useful stuff.

Like the example where bloke stopped on country lane waiting to turn right, got hit up the arse and ended up being hit by oncoming car, because he'd turned his steering wheel rightwards so that's the direction he went in when hit. Did they show you the M4 simulation? Truly shocking stuff.

Must admit, I was surprised how few deaths there are on the roads - of course any number is too many - but my guesstimate was out by a factor of 5.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            Any amusing anecdotes from you or your fellow students? Best excuse for speeding?
            oh thanks Mitch. I wished the floor could open up and swallow me.
            we had a group discussion about excuses, and of course I made a joke of it.
            Then the guy running the course comes to our table and says - who is your spokesman

of course they all point at me

'Er like, me wife ran away with a policemans occifer, an when I saw yer blue flashin lights, I thought youse were bringing her back. like.'

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post

Like the example where bloke stopped on country lane waiting to turn right, got hit up the arse and ended up being hit by oncoming car, because he'd turned his steering wheel rightwards so that's the direction he went in when hit. .
              Basic stuff as per the IAM manual.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                like how to identify the speed in leui of speed signs.
                How do you identify the speed (limit) in leiu of signs? If the signs aren't there, surely the limit doesn't apply (or at least they can't prosecute you for breaking it)?
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  Defaults to 30mph with lamp posts unless otherwise indicated.
                  From decades ago I remember a chap getting off a charge of speeding in a 30mph limit because the lamp posts were more than 200 feet apart.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                    From decades ago I remember a chap getting off a charge of speeding in a 30mph limit because the lamp posts were more than 200 feet apart.
                    That was correct however; I believe the law has changed. I recently went through a new 30mph area in the countryside that had no lampposts and no repeater signs. Also any limit below 30mph must by law have extra markings such and marking on the tarmac to designate the restricted speed area however, local councils seem to often ignore this. There are several stretches of roads now that go from limits of 30 to 40 to 30 to 50 to 60 to 30 within a mile or so. It’s now very difficult to distinguish what is the limit is
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X