• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do they round up/down amounts in Euroland?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do they round up/down amounts in Euroland?

I've noticed this increasingly in Euroland shops. When paying in cash amounts get typically rounded up or down to the nearest 5 or even 10 cents. Sometimes I'm short changed, sometimes I'm not. Why do they do it? - it confuses the hell out of me. There seems to be no consistency to it either.

Shopkeepers don’t like 1ct coins; they have pay for taking rolls of coins from the bank and as I understand it 1ct coin rolls are relatively expensive. Some round up, some round down and I have found no consistency in their approach, although most use 5ct coins. If I had to live from a permie income I might care.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

yup that's right most shops scrabble around with a few 1 and 2 ct coins, so they often run out. They're always greatful if you give them change, especially small coins.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        There is a shortage of copper coins, and they generally can't get enough from the bank.
        Two Dutchmen fought over a copper coin and thus invented copper wire.

Comment

Before the advent of the Euro you were likely to get small change in another currency if you filled up close to a border.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

From a skiing trip to Livigno a few days ago I've purse full of 1 ct coins.

They're nice an' soft and a pretty colour. I think I might use them as spacers on the suspension on one of my bikes.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

German Jokes Alert

Joke 1
              2 teachers met each other in the supermarket at 1:30pm, one says to the other "Oh, you couldn't sleep either"

Joke 2
              german version: 2 polish men working on a german building site, it's 9.30am, one says to the other "where's my knoppers?"

uk version: 2 scousers working on a building site in the the uk, it's 11:30, one says to the other "eh, where's my diet coke gone?"

both jokes had gf chef rolling around the floor yesterday ?????

it turns out that teachers work until 1.30 in germany and have a reputation for being lazy and always sleeping

and the 2nd is kind of racist, polish are stereotypical thieves in germany and 9.30 is THE time to have a well known choc bar because of the advert (think 11:30, Diet Coke break equivalent)

anyway, thought i'd share how cr@p german jokes are with you all
              The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                German Jokes Alert

Joke 1
                2 teachers met each other in the supermarket at 1:30pm, one says to the other "Oh, you couldn't sleep either"

Joke 2
                german version: 2 polish men working on a german building site, it's 9.30am, one says to the other "where's my knoppers?"

uk version: 2 scousers working on a building site in the the uk, it's 11:30, one says to the other "eh, where's my diet coke gone?"

both jokes had gf chef rolling around the floor yesterday ?????

it turns out that teachers work until 1.30 in germany and have a reputation for being lazy and always sleeping

and the 2nd is kind of racist, polish are stereotypical thieves in germany and 9.30 is THE time to have a well known choc bar because of the advert (think 11:30, Diet Coke break equivalent)

anyway, thought i'd share how cr@p german jokes are with you all
                For the real comic effect, you’re supposed to wear lederhosen and a silly hat with a propeller on top. You just don’t get it do you, Britisher?

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                  German schools are pretty crap, well the one my sone goes to seems to be, however he does start at 8am most days and is there until 15:00 or later. The German education system is not all its cracked up to be
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Maybe this is evidence that the EU really is becoming the EUSSR. I was in Russia during the cold war and they did that. Frequently you got all your change in boiled sweets.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X