• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Proving your identity!?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proving your identity!?

OK, you know the drill, agent wants two references (**** off, client can have them at interview) and a copy of photo id.

Now, I dont have a photo driving license. My papaer one does the job very well thank you and has the advantage that it doesnt need renewing for about another 20 years when Im in my dotage.

We dont go abroad for hols anymore due to a pet and kids education so the passport I had 'expired' about 6 years ago. Passport office did tell me once that your passport never actually expires and, I've used it over 3 years ago for my last role although the agent may not have noticed the date!

So, I dont intend forking out 100 quid(?) or thereabouts for something Im not going to use.

I know, I'll apply for the I.D. Card being introduced! Only £30 and they last 10 years according to the HO website. What's more, since I live in the north west, Im in the only location outside London Airports who can apply for them. Sorted.

Only not! Seems you must have a valid UK passport on 1 January 2009

**** it, why should I have to jump through hoops to 'prove' who I am?
    Last edited by BolshieBastard; 25 January 2010, 15:36.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

I am Spartac..... err I mean Bolshie!!

Comment

Fling a handful of DNA sample into their face.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        **** it, why should I have to jump through hoops to 'prove' who I am?
        How do we know who you are?
        Cats are evil.

Comment

Do you think we could get CUK membership cards?
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
            ... I know, I'll apply for the I.D. Card being introduced! Only £30 and they last 10 years according to the HO website. What's more, since I live in the north west, Im in the only location outside London Airports who can apply for them. Sorted. ...
            Nooo, don't do it! Once you sign up for an ID card, you're inviting huge £1,000+ fines if you don't keep the required 57 varieties of personal information bang up to date! Only a complete mug would voluntarily opt for one.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              Nooo, don't do it! Once you sign up for an ID card, you're inviting huge £1,000+ fines if you don't keep the required 57 varieties of personal information bang up to date! Only a complete mug would voluntarily opt for one.
              Right on cue
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                So if I understand it correctly they store my details on an ID card, which reproduces the details in an ID database filled with information they’ve got from a Passport database, which was based on old paper records, which were based on my original birth certificate. As I see it information degrades with each transformation if you don’t apply energy into constant corrections. It’s a bit like thermodynamics but more nerdy. In other words, the ID card will be less accurate and more expensive than any other form of ID I’ve had before. Or am I being picky again?

I’m a tester. In my experience most software is a load of undocumented workarounds roped together by emergency bug fixes and installed on a buggy operating system that transfers data around the world to other dodgy systems on leaky networks. I am therefore a little surprised by the trust that people wish to place in software systems.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  I’m a tester. In my experience ...

I am therefore a little surprised by the trust that people wish to place in software systems.
                  I was a systems analyst and systems designer. I managed developers and testers. My experience has made me a Luddite. I trust bugger all.

I check my bank statements. I check till receipts. I check the calculations on my utility bills. And I find errors (Morrison's were charging VAT on their raw bacon last December, BTW).

And my experience in the public sector tells me all trust in government-held personal data is misplaced.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                    I was a systems analyst and systems designer. I managed developers and testers. My experience has made me a Luddite. I trust bugger all.

I check my bank statements. I check till receipts. I check the calculations on my utility bills. And I find errors (Morrison's were charging VAT on their raw bacon last December, BTW).

And my experience in the public sector tells me all trust in government-held personal data is misplaced.
                    You ought to try a stint in aerospace.

I now ride a bicycle off road wherever I can.
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X