• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are you tightening your belt?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you tightening your belt?

The doom-sayers tell us the recession is far from over and things will deteriorate either due to further collapse under Labour, or tough cuts under the Tories.

So are you maximising your savings and cutting back on spendings, even those of you in well-paying contracts, to build up a good supply for expected grim times?

Edit: Cod
    I'm benched and living off Lidl baked beans
    30.00%
    I'm in a contract and cutting out luxuries
    30.00%
    I'm benched but living as normal, it's nothing to worry about
    13.33%
    I'm living the high life on my contract wonga
    23.33%
    Some AndyW guy tells me a big code will eat England next year
    3.33%
    Last edited by d000hg; 26 January 2010, 00:46.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Personally I don't really have optimism or pessimism for the next year or so... I can be proactive and find some work if I have to I think, but it could take time and some cash to do this. So I'm trying to save as much as possible while I have the chance - if things go wel it can be invested in developing a plan B instead.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Its now more of a torniquet than a belt.
      Numbly tolerating the inequality as a way to achieve greater prosperity for all.

Comment

I'm benched but living as normal. Then again, my conception of "normal" has differed from that of normal people all my life

Comment

Provided you can afford ciggies, a pie and a pint you're happy, eh Nick?
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            Provided you can afford ciggies, a pie and a pint you're happy, eh Nick?
            Pot noodle bumper pack

Comment

I'm saving and saving.

In fact the last extravagant spend was a new central heating system some months ago and I've no intention of increasing my spending until I can afford a good year without pay.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                I'm saving and saving.

In fact the last extravagant spend was a new central heating system some months ago and I've no intention of increasing my spending until I can afford a good year without pay.
                WHS.

Once the warchest for a year is back in place (took a big divi last year to knock down the mortgage) I will think about withdrawing over the bare minimum...
                Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  Only a year?

You're right, who's to say the mess of the past 24 month will not be repeated, I have my doubts.

I could expedite my war chest if I stopped contributing £1K+ into my pension every month, but that seems OTT to me..
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    Only a year?

If you can't get a job for a year then either the market is completely flipped or you are not qualified to get the jobs you are applying for.

Either way you need to change career.

Keeping more that a year in low interest accounts is dead money and probably should be avoided in most cases....
                    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

Working...
                    X