• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jsa

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jsa

Note sure if this is already on here?

http://www.recruiter.co.uk/jsa-confi...004073.article

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Help I need advice

I am relatively new to contracting, on agency recommendation I joined JSA.

JSA owe £2.1m in back tax, so if taxman hadn't agreed to CVA would JSA have been liquidated?

If JSA miss a payment in future (debt is presumably a result of trading loses?) will taxman close them down and take my money?

Can I sue agency if I lose my money?
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 10 February 2010, 14:24.

Comment

No, you can't sue the agency, although I am not a lawyer.

In my years as a contractot I have seen a few umbrella's go under , Prosperity 4 etc.

I can't understand why they get in a mess, surely it is just collecting cash and paying it out?
      "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Have you thought about looking at a Limited company option? The money from your client/agency goes straight into your own company bank account, so there’s no risk of losing it to an umbrella company.
        If you’d like to find out more please feel free to PM or call me, I’d be happy to send you a few free guides.

Jaime
        Tel 0500 152 500
        Last edited by Contractor UK; 12 February 2010, 15:51.

Comment

Help again

I've spoken to my agency about moving from JSA, they are unwilling to issue contract to new umbrella until my next contract/extension

Apparently it's a lot of extra paperwork and admin and their policy is not to allow moves during current contracts!

They assure me that JSA won't go bust, but they refuse to give me any financial guarantees. I've spoken to JSA - lots of platitudes and 'trust me' - but no financial guarantee that my money will be protected if they go bust

Can I go back to agency and insist on move? Or should I speak to company I work for and ask them to insist I move

This job is important to me and I can't afford to lose it

Comment

Originally posted by mackon View Post

Can I go back to agency and insist on move? Or should I speak to company I work for and ask them to insist I move

This job is important to me and I can't afford to lose it
            Go back to the agency and insist on the move.

Bribe them if necessary......

It's nothing to do with the client.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

They assure me that JSA won't go bust, but they refuse to give me any financial guarantees. I've spoken to JSA - lots of platitudes and 'trust me' - but no financial guarantee that my money will be protected if they go bust
              If my money was at stake and I still had chance of extracting or protecting it I would.
              Last edited by Contractor UK; 10 February 2010, 14:25.
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Apparently it's a lot of extra paperwork and admin
                Bulltulip

They assure me that JSA won't go bust,
                How could they, unless they have access to JSA accounts and control over the company? Which they probably don't.

but they refuse to give me any financial guarantees.
                See above

I've spoken to JSA - lots of platitudes and 'trust me' - but no financial guarantee that my money will be protected if they go bust
                If they go bust your money will not be protected, that i can guarantee, by time tax man and banks are done with them you will be very lucky to get pennys on the pound years later

You can go back and insist and they can agree or refuse, just as it is you right to walk (under the T&C's of existing contract)

Client will not care, nothing to do with them

Number one rule in my opinion, if going to be contracting for more than a few months, don't use an umbrella
                Last edited by Contractor UK; 10 February 2010, 14:26.

Comment

They assure me that JSA won't go bust, but they refuse to give me any financial guarantees.
                  Reckon that gives a good idea of how much their assurance are worth.
                  Step outside posh boy

Comment

Jsa

Look Mackon, I am an IT contractor and work at JSA so I can tell you exactly what the situation is. Our MD and Chairman have assured us that JSA is financially sound and I believe them as they own it jointly. The company went through a CVA back in December, with HMRC’s full backing. You know as well as I do that HMRC would not give its backing to this agreement if there was any possibility of JSA going bust or being unable to pay its contractors. Someone out there has been stirring things for JSA and there’s no truth in any rumours that the company is folding or that we have no money. You don’t need to move agencies and you will be paid on time as normal. You can call the customer service guy at JSA, James Harris, and talk it through with him – he’s got all the info you need and will go through everything with you. Tarquin Farquar is talking rubbish – don’t listen to him.

Comment

Working...
                    X