• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is ATW's way the only true method of escaping the bench?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is ATW's way the only true method of escaping the bench?

Let's face it, there's no longer a real solution in the old "learn a new skill option" is there? Apart from the fact that the agents/HR doorkeepers will ignore any skills not utilised in a commercial setting, you're always going to get those willing to undercut you - if not from India, then from Poland or Rumania or the local tech.

So perhaps the Atw route - find something for which you believe there will be commercial demand in the future, but that needs a lot of donkey-work putting in? Fine, but how do we choose this? It's easy to find something that requires a lot of research and/or data entry (see my website!) but a lot harder to choose something that will bring in income at a later date. I suspect even Atw was sweating on this point at one time - kudos to him for perservering with his project.

I suppose I'm looking for Plan B ideas in the IT/web arena.
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

easy, design and build any of the following for guaranteed income:

a working efficient centralised NHS system
    a central government database linking DVLA, NHS, HMRC, Banking + others together in one easily accessible (but secure) system
    a way to take facebook/linked in/twitter/msn profiles and produce a user link web
    a way to take the facebook user profile web and cross reference with central gov database to highlight possible terrorists and/or suspects (see above)
    a centralised CCTV database (may already exist)
    a way to link facebook/central gov database to centralised CCTV system and highlight those who are needed by any of the agencies using the centralised gov database
    a handheld pc to be used by the police that uses augmented reality to provide information of people in your vicinity that show up on the centralised government database for any breach of none tax payment, terrorist suspicion etc. etc.

coming soon to a constabulary near you
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Mark,

first of all, AtW's plan B, and the plan B's of the rest of us, these plan B's do not happen overnight

As far as I remember and AtW can correct me if I am wrong, he quit full-time employment to work full time on his plan b since about 2004 !!!

My plan B has been going since 2005, mine is nowhere near where I want it to be, but the signs are the business model is sustainable and it is growing

when you hear about AtW's plan B, you are hearing the result of endless work and dedication and the results of the same, there are folks here who teased him about his plan b for years, they are quiet now

as for contracting and your comment,

'Apart from the fact that the agents/HR doorkeepers will ignore any skills not utilised in a commercial setting, you're always going to get those willing to undercut you - if not from India, then from Poland or Rumania or the local tech.
      '

I can speak only for .Net contracting, my strategy has been to be deeply technical in vertical areas of .Net and slowly but surely build up the number of .Net verticals which I am deeply technical in - the offshore centers have got technicians, but so far, certainly in the .Net area, the offshore centers lack good numbers of technicians with the deep technical skills, and in fact those companies work against their employees becoming deeply technical because the technicians are expected to climb very quickly into managers and project managers, which so far, leaves the door open for us to stay in the on shore regions deeply technical - who knows for how long this situation will last but so far the strategy is working and touch wood it continues to work

so what I want to say, it's not over yet, your just need to adapt to survive

All the best

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
        .. when you hear about AtW's plan B, you are hearing the result of endless work and dedication and the results of the same, there are folks here who teased him about his plan b for years, they are quiet now ...
        We still tease him, for his endless stream of announcements of imminent news.

Sounds like he might be "almost" there, but he never quite seems to seal the deal.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

As Milan correctly put it I was actually working on Plan A for 5 years...

My Plan B was to generate electricity with tamed squirrels, but I've come to conclusion that it won't be feasible until either electricity cost raises to £10 per kWh, or prices of wallnuts drop 10 times...

Comment

jeeez

rome wasn't built in a day

what he has achieved so far is nothing short of amazing

the future of his plan b is obviously that it will be a big success

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              We still tease him, for his endless stream of announcements of imminent news.
              There are no imminent SKA News if that's what you mean.

In fact I might just not used this brand anymore unless news are REALLY big

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                As Milan correctly put it I was actually working on Plan A for 5 years...

My Plan B was to generate electricity with tamed squirrels, but I've come to conclusion that it won't be feasible until either electricity cost raises to £10 per kWh, or prices of wallnuts drop 10 times...
                I actually LOL'd at that ......... I mean actually ..... in the office.

I dont know if its because Im overly tired, or whether it was a good gag.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
                  Let's face it, there's no longer a real solution in the old "learn a new skill option" is there? Apart from the fact that the agents/HR doorkeepers will ignore any skills not utilised in a commercial setting, you're always going to get those willing to undercut you - if not from India, then from Poland or Rumania or the local tech.

So perhaps the Atw route - find something for which you believe there will be commercial demand in the future, but that needs a lot of donkey-work putting in? Fine, but how do we choose this? It's easy to find something that requires a lot of research and/or data entry (see my website!) but a lot harder to choose something that will bring in income at a later date. I suspect even Atw was sweating on this point at one time - kudos to him for perservering with his project.

I suppose I'm looking for Plan B ideas in the IT/web arena.
                  I have many and looking for partners / investment capital. Message me if interested.

Comment

me too,

that's my plan c

just send the cash

sorteeeeeeeeeeeeed

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X