• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

iProfile (I know, yet again)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iProfile (I know, yet again)

I applied for a contract today. Soon I got an email from [email protected] saying Thank you for responding to our job advert.

So I logged on to iProfile. Behold! I had "joined" 2 agencies last year.

Declaration: I have NOT joined any organisations that I have not actually joined.

Strangest: my iProfile was completely empty: no CV details, no contact details. So what does it do and why did someone do it?

I always thought iProflie was a pointless exercise but it keeps popping up so I spent a couple of hours yesterday cutting and pasting my CV into it, I put n/a in sections I thought were irrelevant and hid that section until it said 100% complete.

When you log in theres a list of about 30 agencies that claim to use it when searching for candidates, not sure if they do though as I've had gigs with a few of them without them mentioning it?

I had nothing better to do and even if it gives me 0.1% better chance of landing a gig it would have been worthwhile.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

About 14 (it goes up and down) use iProfile as their CV database. At least, that was the idea.

So by sending your CV to one of those agencies, they bung it onto iProfile and iProfile tells you you are now on there. You can then tidy it up (why yours is blank is a mystery - it should contain some very poorly entered defaults) and enable the other 13 agencies to see it.

In theory, we win as a bunch of agencies can find us according to our skills as defined on iProfile and those agencies save some pennies not having to have their own CV db and search mechanism.

We on CUK ought to love it and support it.

So it is shame it is a crock of poorly functioning tulip and more than one agent has said to me they hate it because it does not work very well for them either.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

iProfile did not tell me when they put it up. I was getting all kinds of calls about jobs all over Europe until an agent said he found my CV there.

One of the reasons I send my CV out as a read only PDF now until the agent tells me the client name.

Comment

Wasn't there an instance where this site was hacked and details were used in a fraud scam?

I did use it a few years ago but still got agents asking me to amend my CV all the time!
          Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

Originally posted by stingman123 View Post
            Wasn't there an instance where this site was hacked and details were used in a fraud scam?

I did use it a few years ago but still got agents asking me to amend my CV all the time!
            Bloody hell - was it?
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              Bloody hell - was it?
              Somehow people were using versions of my CV to get roles. At least one I know of did a runner from SHAPE!
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                Somehow people were using versions of my CV to get roles. At least one I know of did a runner from SHAPE!
                Do you think it's better to delete yourself from iProfile?
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I started that off a while ago, firstly by deleting DOB, address etc...

After I heard that the site was hacked I deleted everything (too late in know)

But the quality of calls coming through afterwards were much less vague than the usual vague calls.
                  Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

I always do. Occasionally some agency I've never contacted emails me to say that they've put my CV on iProfile, shortly after that I delete it.
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                    X