• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

agent just crushed me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

agent just crushed me

Hello,

Do you ever have one of those days where job-hunting drives you mad? Just been on the phone to an agent. I've been outta work for 6 mths, but before that I also had a year off caring for someone, so it's 18mths.

Just applied for a contract. Got rung back by an agents junior colleague, chatted to me for ages (think he was there to try and get references, not just ask about my skills).

He then put me through to the account manager. I didn't have one or two of things needed on the spec (they weren't "must-haves"). He told me " I wasn't suitable due to the time you've had off..you should consider applying for a more junior position, and then working your way back up as it's such a fast-moving industry". He then finished it off with "it'll be a long, hard climb back-up".

I just said "thank you", meekly, then got off the phone. Have had agents tell me that the time off could be an issue but not with those words. Am crushed. I agree about the junior stuff, which is why I'm asking for lower rates etc.

I can no longer tell if I'm being too sensitive or if an agent is being a tosser

Originally posted by northernrampage View Post
    Hello,

Do you ever have one of those days where job-hunting drives you mad? Just been on the phone to an agent. I've been outta work for 6 mths, but before that I also had a year off caring for someone, so it's 18mths.

Just applied for a contract. Got rung back by an agents junior colleague, chatted to me for ages (think he was there to try and get references, not just ask about my skills).

He then put me through to the account manager. I didn't have one or two of things needed on the spec (they weren't "must-haves"). He told me " I wasn't suitable due to the time you've had off..you should consider applying for a more junior position, and then working your way back up as it's such a fast-moving industry". He then finished it off with "it'll be a long, hard climb back-up".

I just said "thank you", meekly, then got off the phone. Have had agents tell me that the time off could be an issue but not with those words. Am crushed. I agree about the junior stuff, which is why I'm asking for lower rates etc.

I can no longer tell if I'm being too sensitive or if an agent is being a tosser
    Oh God, we've just picked up RC up, now we've got to help you as well?

Im only joking before people get angry with me. I do think youre being a bit sensitive though. Hes just an agent.... one of many.

Stick to your guns.

Comment

F**k 'em, what do they know? The clue is in their job-title "Agent"!

Did you know that "Agent" is an anagram of "Dense Bastards!"?

Comment

That's a no-brainer

Ignore the twonk

Comment

18 months is a hell of a long time off mate. At least he told you straight and didn't just fob you off with some crap about they'll get back to you.

Anyway you could 'fill' that 18 months? Gap year, studying, etc
          "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

if an agent is being a tosser
            you need to ask? you are confused!

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
              18 months is a hell of a long time off mate. At least he told you straight and didn't just fob you off with some crap about they'll get back to you.

Anyway you could 'fill' that 18 months? Gap year, studying, etc
              Her Majesty's Pleasure?
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

What's his name and address? - Will pay him a visit the nite...
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Bad luck. He's an insensitive tosser.

Did you do any coding type work (personal projects etc) while you were a carer? Anything that would fill out the cv?
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                    Bad luck. He's an insensitive tosser.

Did you do any coding type work (personal projects etc) while you were a carer? Anything that would fill out the cv?
                    Nah, unfortunately not I'm a PM. I did finish an OU degree, it's in psychology which seems to confuse 'em even more.

I have done some freelancing in the last few months, but it's been p/t work writing editorial articles via a blog tool... I think I confuse agents when I speak to them as nothing seems to fit together.

I'm going to grow a thicker skin.. thanks all.

Comment

Working...
                    X