• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the big deal with BN66?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the big deal with BN66?

If you were avoiding tax using off-shore schemes then you've signed your own warrant IMO.

If it were legit then all of us would be doing it, but we're not. Why do you suppose that is?

It's got far more attention than it deserves me thinks....
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    If you were avoiding tax using off-shore schemes then you've signed your own warrant IMO.

If it were legit then all of us would be doing it, but we're not. Why do you suppose that is?

The big deal is the retrospective nature of the ‘clarification’ of regulations.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      The big deal is the retrospective nature of the ‘clarification’ of regulations.

It's not really big deal if you had enough grey matter in the first place not to employ such a scheme.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

It's not really big deal if you had enough grey matter in the first place not to employ such a scheme.
        Ah, but if you had enough grey matter you wouldn’t live in the UK under a Labour government.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Ah, but if you had enough grey matter you wouldn’t live in the UK under a Labour government.

I'm laughing all the way to May... Labour are so out and not just for one term either.

Comment

What if they pass a law that means anyone using the name scooterscot on contractoruk.com has to retrospectively pay 80% tax?

Just because it doesnt affect you now, doesnt mean that you should support retrospective legislation like BN66.

In principle the retrospective nature of BN66 is wrong and that is why I oppose it.

Cheers,
            EF

Comment

How's about doing some proper research you tit?

I wonder if you'll be of the same opinion if you get a backdated IR35 demand.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Exactly.

But there is a sucker born every mintute, and the scheme providers that sprouted after IR35 found it easy to take advantage of their greed/gullibility.

The judge even said the scheme might not be legit at all (regardless of the retro element). But some believed everything they were told and spent all the money thinking they were completely safe.
                  Last edited by Iron Condor; 28 January 2010, 14:33.

Comment

The big deal is "Retrospective tax legislation to bankrupt hundreds of hard working families. HMRC say it's only fair."

That's the headline the BBC should be using.
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                    X